Vendor managed inventory with a capacitated manufacturer and multiple retailers: Retailer versus manufacturer leadership
Considering a supply chain composed of a single capacitated manufacturer and multiple retailers, we model a Stackelberg game vendor managed inventory framework under two scenarios: in the first, we follow the traditional approach wherein the manufacturer is the leader; in the second, we let one of the retailers act as the dominant player of the supply chain. Is retailer dominance a preferred outcome by all retailers? Can the supply chain efficiency be improved by having the dominance gravitated from the manufacturer to one of the retailers? Solving the corresponding MINLP problems, we provide some insights using numerical examples.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qin, Yiyan & Tang, Huanwen & Guo, Chonghui, 2007. "Channel coordination and volume discounts with price-sensitive demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 43-53, January.
- Wong, W.K. & Qi, J. & Leung, S.Y.S., 2009. "Coordinating supply chains with sales rebate contracts and vendor-managed inventory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 151-161, July.
- David Besanko & Jean-Pierre Dubé & Sachin Gupta, 2005. "Own-Brand and Cross-Brand Retail Pass-Through," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(1), pages 123-137, July.
- Thomas, Douglas J. & Hackman, Steven T., 2003. "A committed delivery strategy with fixed frequency and quantity," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 363-373, July.
- Woo, York Y. & Hsu, Shu-Lu & Wu, Soushan, 2001. "An integrated inventory model for a single vendor and multiple buyers with ordering cost reduction," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 203-215, October.
- Yu, Yugang & Chu, Feng & Chen, Haoxun, 2009. "A Stackelberg game and its improvement in a VMI system with a manufacturing vendor," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 929-948, February.
- Ganesh Iyer, 1998. "Coordinating Channels Under Price and Nonprice Competition," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(4), pages 338-355.
- Dong, Yan & Xu, Kefeng, 2002. "A supply chain model of vendor managed inventory," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 75-95, April.
- Paul R. Messinger & Chakravarthi Narasimhan, 1995. "Has Power Shifted in the Grocery Channel?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(2), pages 189-223.
- Z. Kevin Weng, 1995. "Channel Coordination and Quantity Discounts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(9), pages 1509-1522, September.
- R. Canan Savaskan & Shantanu Bhattacharya & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2004. "Closed-Loop Supply Chain Models with Product Remanufacturing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(2), pages 239-252, February.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang, 2005. "Some two-echelon supply-chain games: Improving from deterministic-symmetric-information to stochastic-asymmetric-information models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(1), pages 203-223, February.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Paul H. Zipkin, 1999. "Competitive and Cooperative Inventory Policies in a Two-Stage Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 936-953, July.
- Yang, Shan-Lin & Zhou, Yong-Wu, 2006. "Two-echelon supply chain models: Considering duopolistic retailers' different competitive behaviors," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 104-116, September.
- Zhang, Tinglong & Liang, Liang & Yu, Yugang & Yu, Yan, 2007. "An integrated vendor-managed inventory model for a two-echelon system with order cost reduction," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1-2), pages 241-253, September.
- Lu, Lu, 1995. "A one-vendor multi-buyer integrated inventory model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 312-323, March.
- Viswanathan, S. & Wang, Qinan, 2003. "Discount pricing decisions in distribution channels with price-sensitive demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 149(3), pages 571-587, September.
- Viswanathan, S. & Piplani, Rajesh, 2001. "Coordinating supply chain inventories through common replenishment epochs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 277-286, March.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang & Zhou, Yong-Wu, 2007. "A stochastic and asymmetric-information framework for a dominant-manufacturer supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 295-316, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:128:y:2010:i:1:p:292-302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.