A Stackelberg game and its improvement in a VMI system with a manufacturing vendor
Vendor managed inventory (VMI) is an inventory management strategy to let a vendor manage his retailers' inventories, which makes the vendor have the opportunity to obtain some inventory and market-related information of his retailers. This paper discusses how the vendor can take advantage of this information for increasing his own profit by using a Stackelberg game in a VMI system. The vendor here is a manufacturer who procures raw materials to produce a finished product and supplies it at the same wholesale price to multiple retailers. The retailers then sell the product in independent markets at retail prices. Solution procedures are developed to find the Stackelberg game equilibrium that each enterprise is not willing to deviate from for maximizing his own profit. The equilibrium makes the manufacturer benefited, and the retailers' profits maximized. The equilibrium can then be improved for further benefiting the manufacturer and his retailers if the retailers are willing to cooperate with the manufacturer by using a cooperative contract. Finally, a numerical example and the corresponding sensitivity analysis are given to illustrate that: (1) the manufacturer can benefit from his leadership, and monopolize the added profit of the VMI system in some cases; (2) The manufacturer can further improve his own profit, and then the retailers' profits by the cooperative contract, as compared to the Stackelberg equilibrium; (3) market and raw material related parameters have significant influence on every enterprise's net profit.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qin, Yiyan & Tang, Huanwen & Guo, Chonghui, 2007. "Channel coordination and volume discounts with price-sensitive demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 43-53, January.
- Viswanathan, S. & Piplani, Rajesh, 2001. "Coordinating supply chain inventories through common replenishment epochs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 277-286, March.
- Qinan Wang, 2001. "Coordinating Independent Buyers in a Distribution System to Increase a Vendor's Profits," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 337-348, May.
- Chakravarty, Amiya K. & Goyal, Suresh K., 1986. "Multi-item inventory grouping with dependent set-up cost and group overhead cost," Engineering Costs and Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 13-23, March.
- Zhang, Tinglong & Liang, Liang & Yu, Yugang & Yu, Yan, 2007. "An integrated vendor-managed inventory model for a two-echelon system with order cost reduction," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1-2), pages 241-253, September.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang & Zhou, Yong-Wu, 2007. "A stochastic and asymmetric-information framework for a dominant-manufacturer supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 295-316, January.
- Fangruo Chen & Awi Federgruen & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 2001. "Coordination Mechanisms for a Distribution System with One Supplier and Multiple Retailers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 693-708, May.
- Woo, York Y. & Hsu, Shu-Lu & Wu, Soushan, 2001. "An integrated inventory model for a single vendor and multiple buyers with ordering cost reduction," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 203-215, October.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Paul H. Zipkin, 1999. "Competitive and Cooperative Inventory Policies in a Two-Stage Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 936-953, July.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990.
"Nash equilibrium with strategic complementarities,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 305-321.
- De Toni, Alberto Felice & Zamolo, Elena, 2005. "From a traditional replenishment system to vendor-managed inventory: A case study from the household electrical appliances sector," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 63-79, April.
- Dong, Yan & Xu, Kefeng, 2002. "A supply chain model of vendor managed inventory," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 75-95, April.
- Slikker, Marco & Fransoo, Jan & Wouters, Marc, 2005. "Cooperation between multiple news-vendors with transshipments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 370-380, December.
- Viswanathan, S. & Wang, Qinan, 2003. "Discount pricing decisions in distribution channels with price-sensitive demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 149(3), pages 571-587, September.
- Z. Kevin Weng, 1995. "Channel Coordination and Quantity Discounts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(9), pages 1509-1522, September.
- Martin A. Lariviere & Evan L. Porteus, 2001. "Selling to the Newsvendor: An Analysis of Price-Only Contracts," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 293-305, May.
- Lu, Lu, 1995. "A one-vendor multi-buyer integrated inventory model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 312-323, March.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 2005. "Supply Chain Coordination with Revenue-Sharing Contracts: Strengths and Limitations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Hau L. Lee & Kut C. So & Christopher S. Tang, 2000. "The Value of Information Sharing in a Two-Level Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 626-643, May.
- Banerjee, Avijit & Burton, Jonathan S., 1994. "Coordinated vs. independent inventory replenishment policies for a vendor and multiple buyers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1-3), pages 215-222, June.
- Rajeev Kohli & Heungsoo Park, 1994. "Coordinating Buyer-Seller Transactions Across Multiple Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(9), pages 1145-1150, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:3:p:929-948. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.