Political support for enterprise restructuring and voting in Serbia
We examine political support for enterprise restructuring as reflected in voting and two elections in Serbia after 2000. There is no evidence that employment in the firms slated for restructuring influenced voting. However, restructuring appears to have resulted in a decline in support for pro-reform parties. Demographic factors had a crucial effect on voter behavior.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Mejía & Carlos Esteban Posada, .
"Populist Policies in the Transition to Democracy,"
Borradores de Economia
349, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2000.
"Political support for reforms: Economics of voting in transition countries,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1491-1513, August.
- Fidrmuc, J., 1998. "Political Support for Reforms : Economics of Voting in Transition Countries," Discussion Paper 1998-98, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Sobbrio, Francesco & Navarra, Pietro, 2010.
"Electoral participation and communicative voting in Europe,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 185-207, June.
- Sobbrio, Francesco & Navarra, Pietro, 2009. "Electoral Participation and Communicative Voting in Europe," MPRA Paper 18311, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1995.
"The Dynamics of Political Support for Reform in Economies in Transition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1115, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rodrik Dani, 1995. "The Dynamics of Political Suppport for Reform in Economies in Transition," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 403-425, December.
- Wyplosz, Charles, 1992.
"After the Honeymoon: On the Economics and the Politics of Economic Transformation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
734, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wyplosz, Charles, 1993. "After the honeymoon: On the economics and the politics of economic transformation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 379-386, April.
- Neven Valev, 2003.
"No Pain, No Gain: Market Reform, Unemployment, and Politics in Bulgaria,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper0310, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Valev, Neven, 2004. "No pain, no gain: market reform, unemployment, and politics in Bulgaria," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 409-425, September.
- Neven Valev, 2003. "No Pain, No Gain: Market Reform, Unemployment, and Politics in Bulgaria," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-577, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1994. "Politicians and Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 995-1025, November.
- Kim, Byung-Yeon & Pirttila, Jukka, 2006. "Political constraints and economic reform: Empirical evidence from the post-communist transition in the 1990s," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 446-466, September.
- Smeets, Valerie & Warzynski, Frederic, 2003.
"Job Creation, Job Destruction and Voting Behavior in Poland,"
03-24, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Smeets, Valerie & Warzynski, Frederic, 2006. "Job creation, job destruction and voting behavior in Poland," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 503-519, June.
- Valä¿½ie Smeets & Frederic Warzynski, 2003. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and Voting Behavior in Poland," LICOS Discussion Papers 13903, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- John E. Jackson & Jacek Klich & Krystyna Poznanska, 2003. "Economic transition and elections in Poland," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(1), pages 41-66, March.
- Tichit, Ariane, 2006. "The optimal speed of transition revisited," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 349-369, June.
- Warner, Andrew M., 2001. "Is Economic Reform Popular at the Polls? Russia 1995," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 448-465, September.
- Hillman, Arye L., 2010. "Expressive behavior in economics and politics," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 403-418, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:poleco:v:27:y:2011:i:1:p:171-180. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.