Stock market valuation of R&D spending of firms acquiring targets from technologically abundant countries
In this paper, we aim to extend the internalization theory by Buckley and Casson [Buckley, P.J., Casson, M., 1976. The Future of Multinational Enterprise. Holmes & Meier, New York] and Caves [Caves, R.E., 1971. International corporations: the industrial economics of foreign investment. Economica 38, 1-27] in two respects. First, we hypothesize that synergies arising from a technology-oriented cross-border M&A increase the stock market value of an acquirer's R&D spending. Second, we hypothesize that an acquirer's access to a country with more favorable R&D environment through the target firm is the main source of synergy arising from intangibles in these M&As. Our empirical results of analyzing data from 10 most R&D active countries in Europe are consistent with these hypotheses and support our extension of the internalization theory. Specifically, we find that multinationality of a firm with intangible assets as such does not add value to R&D, but the combination of its own R&D with that of a firm located in a country with highly favorable R&D environment.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Morck, Randall & Yeung, Bernard, 1992. "Internalization : An event study test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 41-56, August.
- Bertrand, Olivier & Zuniga, Pluvia, 2006.
"R&D and M&A: Are cross-border M&A different? An investigation on OECD countries,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 401-423, March.
- Olivier Bertrand & Pluvia Zuniga, 2004. "R&D and M&A : Are cross-border M&A different ? An investigation on OECD countries," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla04072, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Collins, Daniel W. & Kothari, S. P., 1989. "An analysis of intertemporal and cross-sectional determinants of earnings response coefficients," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2-3), pages 143-181, July.
- Loughran, Tim & Vijh, Anand M, 1997. " Do Long-Term Shareholders Benefit from Corporate Acquisitions?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1765-90, December.
- Panayotis Dessyllas & Alan Hughes, 2005. "R&D and Patenting Activity and the Propensity to Acquire in High Technology Industries," Industrial Organization 0507008, EconWPA.
- Robert L Conn & Andy Cosh & Paul M Guest & Alan Hughes, 2003.
"The Impact on U.K. Acquirers of Domestic, Cross-border, Public and Private Acquisitions,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp276, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Robert L. Conn & Andy Cosh & Paul M. Guest & Alan Hughes, 2005. "The Impact on UK Acquirers of Domestic, Cross-border, Public and Private Acquisitions," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5-6), pages 815-870.
- Booth, G. Geoffrey & Junttila, Juha & Kallunki, Juha-Pekka & Rahiala, Markku & Sahlstrom, Petri, 2006. "How does the financial environment affect the stock market valuation of R&D spending?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 197-214, April.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Andrew Epstein & Sean Nicholson, 2004.
"Mergers and Acquisitions in the Pharmaceutical and Biotech Industries,"
NBER Working Papers
10536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Andrew Epstein & Sean Nicholson, 2007. "Mergers and acquisitions in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4-5), pages 307-328.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Kolodny, Richard & Scheraga, Carl, 1996. "Cross-border acquisitions and shareholder wealth: Tests of the synergy and internalization hypotheses," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1559-1582, November.
- repec:fth:michin:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baruch Lev, 1999. "R&D And Capital Markets," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 11(4), pages 21-35.
- Kiymaz, Halil & Mukherjee, Tarun K, 2000. "The Impact of Country Diversification on Wealth Effects in Cross-Border Mergers," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 37-58, May.
- Ervin L. Black & Thomas A. Carnes & Tomas Jandik & B. Charlene Henderson, 2007. "The Relevance of Target Accounting Quality to the Long-Term Success of Cross-Border Mergers," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1-2), pages 139-168.
- Bae, Sung C. & Noh, Seungwook, 2001. "Multinational corporations versus domestic corporations: a comparative study of R&D investment activities," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 89-104, February.
- Chan, Su Han & Martin, John D. & Kensinger, John W., 1990. "Corporate research and development expenditures and share value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 255-276, August.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Shaomin Li & Seung Ho Park, 2006. "Determinants of Locations of Foreign Direct Investment in China," Management and Organization Review, International Association of Chinese Management Research, vol. 2(1), pages 95-119, March.
- Mina, Wasseem, 2007. "The location determinants of FDI in the GCC countries," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 336-348, October.
- Adam B. Jaffe, 1986.
"Technological Opportunity and Spillovers of R&D: Evidence from Firms' Patents, Profits and Market Value,"
NBER Working Papers
1815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1986. "Technological Opportunity and Spillovers of R&D: Evidence from Firms' Patents, Profits, and Market Value," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 984-1001, December.
- Panayotis Dessyllas & Alan Hughes, 2005. "R&D and Patenting Activity and the Propensity to Acquire in High Technology Industries," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp298, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- ITO Banri & WAKASUGI Ryuhei, 2007. "Factors Determining the Mode of Overseas R&D by Multinationals: Empirical Evidence," Discussion papers 07004, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Ito, Banri & Wakasugi, Ryuhei, 2007. "What factors determine the mode of overseas R&D by multinationals? Empirical evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1275-1287, October.
- Morck, R. & Yeung, B., 1991.
"Why Investors Value Multinationality,"
282, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Doukas, John & Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1988. " The Effect of Corporate Multinationalism on Shareholders' Wealth: Evidence from International Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1161-75, December.
- Li, Shaomin & Park, Seung Ho, 2006. "Determinants of Locations of Foreign Direct Investment in China," Management and Organization Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 95-119, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mulfin:v:19:y:2009:i:2:p:111-126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.