Equilibrium in a discrete Downsian model given a non-minimal valence advantage and linear loss functions
This note complements Aragonès and Palfrey [Aragonés, E., Palfrey, T., 2002. Mixed strategy equilibrium in a Downsian model with a favored candidate. Journal of Economic Theory 103, 131–161.] and Hummel [Hummel, P., 2010. On the nature of equilibriums in a Downsian model with candidate valence. Games and Economic Behavior 70 (2), 425–445.] by characterizing an essentially unique mixed strategy Nash equilibrium in a two-candidate Downsian model where one candidate enjoys a non-minimal non-policy advantage over the other candidate. The policy space is unidimensional and discrete (even number of equidistant locations), the preferences of the median voter are not known to the candidates and voter’s preferences on the policy space are represented by linear loss functions. We find that if the uncertainty about the median voter’s preferences is sufficiently low, then the mixed strategy σˆA= play the two intermediate locations with probability12 for the advantaged candidate and the mixed strategy σˆD= play the least liberal location that guarantees positive probability of election givenσˆAwith probability12and the least conservative strategy that guarantees positive probability of election givenσˆAwith probability12 for the disadvantaged candidate, constitute a Nash equilibrium of the game for any admissible value of the non-policy advantage.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dix, Manfred & Santore, Rudy, 2002. "Candidate ability and platform choice," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 189-194, July.
- Enriqueta Aragonès & Dimitrios Xefteris, 2011.
"Candidate quality in a Downsian Model with a Continuous Policy Space,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
859.11, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Aragonès, Enriqueta & Xefteris, Dimitrios, 2012. "Candidate quality in a Downsian model with a continuous policy space," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 464-480.
- Enriqueta Aragonés & Dimitrios Xefteris, 2011. "Candidate quality in a Downsian Model with a Continuous Policy Space," Working Papers 529, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Micael Castanheira De Moura & Juan Carrillo, 2008.
"Information and strategic political polarization,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10003, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Xefteris, Dimitrios, 2012. "Spatial electoral competition with a probabilistically favored candidate," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 96-98.
- Alexei Zakharov, 2009. "A model of candidate location with endogenous valence," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 347-366, March.
- Ashworth, Scott & Bueno de Mesquita, Ethan, 2009. "Elections with platform and valence competition," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 191-216, September.
- Helios Herrera & David K Levine & Cesar Martinelli, 2007.
"Policy Platforms, Campaign Spending and Voter Participation,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
618897000000000935, David K. Levine.
- Herrera, Helios & Levine, David K. & Martinelli, César, 2008. "Policy platforms, campaign spending and voter participation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(3-4), pages 501-513, April.
- Helios Herrera & David K. Levine & Cesar Martinelli, 2005. "Policy Platforms, Campaign Spending and Voter Participation," Working Papers 0503, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Ansolabehere, Stephen & Snyder, James M, Jr, 2000. " Valence Politics and Equilibrium in Spatial Election Models," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 103(3-4), pages 327-36, June.
- Adams, James, 1999. " Policy Divergence in Multicandidate Probabilistic Spatial Voting," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 100(1-2), pages 103-22, July.
- Xefteris, Dimitrios, 2012. "Mixed strategy equilibrium in a Downsian model with a favored candidate: A comment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 393-396.
- Norman Schofield, 2007. "The Mean Voter Theorem: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Convergent Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(3), pages 965-980.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:65:y:2013:i:2:p:150-153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.