Solution to nonlinear MHDS arising from optimal growth problems
In this paper we propose a method for solving in closed form a general class of nonlinear modified Hamiltonian dynamic systems (MHDS). This method is used to analyze the intertemporal optimization problem from endogenous growth theory, especially the cases with two controls and one state variable. We use the exact solutions to study both uniqueness and indeterminacy of the optimal path when the dynamic system has not a well-defined isolated steady state. With this approach we avoid the linearization process, as well as the reduction of dimension technique usually applied when the dynamic system offers a continuum of steady states or no steady state at all.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raouf Boucekkine & B. Martínez & J. R. Ruiz-Tamarit, 2007.
"A note on global dynamics and imbalance effects in the Lucas-Uzawa model,"
2007_26, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Blanca Martínez & José Ramón Ruiz-Tamarit, 2008. "Note on global dynamics and imbalance effects in the Lucas-Uzawa model," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 4(4), pages 503-518.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & MARTINEZ, Blanca & RUIZ-TAMARIT, José Ramon, . "Note on global dynamics and imbalance effects in the Lucas-Uzawa model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2091, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hiraguchi, Ryoji, 2009. "A note on the closed-form solution to the Lucas-Uzawa model with externality," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1757-1760, October.
- Sergio T. Rebelo, 1990.
"Long Run Policy Analysis and Long Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521484619 is not listed on IDEAS
- J. Aznar-Marquez & J.R. Ruiz-Tamarit, 2001.
"Endogenous Growth, Capital Utilization and Depreciation,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2001037, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- J. Aznar-Márquez & J. R. Ruiz-Tamarit, . "Endogenous Growth, Capital Utilization and Depreciation," Working Papers 2004-21, FEDEA.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Cees Withagen, 2010.
"The Optimal Depletion Of Exhaustible Resources: A Complete Characterization,"
Departmental Working Papers
2010-01, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Withagen, Cees, 2011. "The optimal depletion of exhaustible resources: A complete characterization," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 612-636, September.
- BENCHEKROUN, Hassan & WITHAGEN, Cees, 2010. "The Optimal Depletion of Exhaustible Resources : A Complete Characterization," Cahiers de recherche 04-2010, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1992.
"Transitional Dynamics in Two-Sector Models of Endogenous Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3986, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mulligan, Casey B & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1993. "Transitional Dynamics in Two-Sector Models of Endogenous Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 739-73, August.
- Mulligan, C.B. & Sala-i-Martin, X., 1992. "Transitional Dynamics in Two-Sector Models of Endogenous Growth," Papers 651, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Russell, Thomas & Zecevic, Aleksandar, 2000. "Indeterminate growth paths and stability," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 39-62, January.
- Boucekkine, Raouf, 1995. "An alternative methodology for solving nonlinear forward-looking models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 711-734, May.
- Guerrini, Luca, 2010. "A closed-form solution to the Ramsey model with logistic population growth," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1178-1182, September.
- Lans Bovenberg, A. & Smulders, Sjak, 1995.
"Environmental quality and pollution-augmenting technological change in a two-sector endogenous growth model,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 369-391, July.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Smulders, J.A., 1995. "Environmental quality and pollution-augmenting technological change in a two-sector endogenous growth model," Other publications TiSEM 6784bb12-71fb-45a5-bf7e-8, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Smith William T, 2007. "Inspecting the Mechanism Exactly: A Closed-form Solution to a Stochastic Growth Model," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-33, August.
- Ruiz-Tamarit, José Ramón, 2008.
"The closed-form solution for a family of four-dimension nonlinear MHDS,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 1000-1014, March.
- José Ramón Ruiz-Tamarit, . "The Closed-Form Solution for a Family of Four-Dimension Non-Linear MHDS," Working Papers 2002-18, FEDEA.
- Guerrini, Luca, 2010. "The Ramsey model with AK technology and a bounded population growth rate," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1178-1183, December.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711, June.
- Brunner, Martin & Strulik, Holger, 2002.
"Solution of perfect foresight saddlepoint problems: a simple method and applications,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 737-753, May.
- Martin Brunner & Holger Strulik, 2002. "Code for "Solution of Perfect Foresight Sattlepoint Problems: A Simple Method and Applications"," QM&RBC Codes 93, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Guerrini, Luca, 2010. "The Ramsey model with a bounded population growth rate," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 872-878, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:61:y:2011:i:2:p:86-96. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.