Overlapping generations and idiosyncratic risk: Can prices reveal the best policy?
Incomplete markets in overlapping generations leave room for Pareto improvement. We analyze a model with two goods and idiosyncratic shocks. We compare market equilibrium with the constrained efficient equilibrium allocation and demonstrate that, when shocks are symmetric and do not affect all goods, prescription of the optimal policy depends exclusively on information about relative prices. This policy, based on lump sum transfers of a nominal asset, changes the rate of return on savings, inducing new choices of consumption and new equilibrium prices. When shocks affect all goods, however, relative prices are not sufficient information for the policy prescription. The magnitude of the shocks and of the equilibrium levels of consumption become important as well.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio Turner, 2004.
"Pareto Improving Taxation in Incomplete Markets,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
310, Econometric Society.
- Sergio Turner, 2004. "Pareto Improving Taxation in Incomplete Markets," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 614, Econometric Society.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Alessandro Citanna & Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Post-Print hal-00479390, HAL.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467-467.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1975. "On the optimality of equilibrium when the market structure is incomplete," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 418-443, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)