Overlapping generations and idiosyncratic risk: Can prices reveal the best policy?
Incomplete markets in overlapping generations leave room for Pareto improvement. We analyze a model with two goods and idiosyncratic shocks. We compare market equilibrium with the constrained efficient equilibrium allocation and demonstrate that, when shocks are symmetric and do not affect all goods, prescription of the optimal policy depends exclusively on information about relative prices. This policy, based on lump sum transfers of a nominal asset, changes the rate of return on savings, inducing new choices of consumption and new equilibrium prices. When shocks affect all goods, however, relative prices are not sufficient information for the policy prescription. The magnitude of the shocks and of the equilibrium levels of consumption become important as well.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio Turner, 2004.
"Pareto Improving Taxation in Incomplete Markets,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
310, Econometric Society.
- Sergio Turner, 2004. "Pareto Improving Taxation in Incomplete Markets," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 614, Econometric Society.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998.
"Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Alessandro Citanna & Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Post-Print hal-00479390, HAL.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467-467.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1975. "On the optimality of equilibrium when the market structure is incomplete," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 418-443, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:44:y:2008:i:12:p:1312-1320. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.