On the objective of firms under uncertainty with stock markets
In a multi-period, multi-commodity economy with stock markets, we try to extend the work of Drèze [Investment under private ownership: optimality, equilibrium and stability, in: Allocation under Uncertainty; Equilibrium and Optimality, Wiley, New York, 1974, p. 129] to define the behavior of the firms. We exhibit first-order necessary conditions for a constrained Pareto optimal allocation. The financial constraints lead to non-colinear supporting spot prices for the consumers at each node. Nevertheless, the firms are satisfying a first-order necessary condition for profit maximization with respect to a price computed as the Drèze's prices. These prices are also consistent with the sense that the present values of the firms computed with the personal prices of the stockholders and with the Drèze's prices coincide when short sales are allowed. We also show that these conditions are simpler if we consider an allocation at which each consumer maximizes his preferences, when they are smooth. This allows us to give a formal definition for the objective of the firms, which extend the Drèze's criterion. We also discuss different definitions of constrained feasibility, and, we provide the related necessary conditions, which do not differ for the production sector.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1975. "Pareto Optimality in Non-Convex Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Geanakoplos,Â J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii,Â M. & Dreze,Â J., .
"Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
916, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., 1990. "Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-151.
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii & J. Dreze, 1988. "Generic Inefficiency of Stock Market Equilibrium When Markets Are Incomplete," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 863, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Egbert Dierker & Hildegard Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 2000.
"Objectives of an Imperfectly Competitive Firm: A Surplus Approach,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2000-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Egbert Dierker & Hildegard Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 2000. "Objectives of an Imperfectly Competitive Firm: A Surplus Approach," Vienna Economics Papers 0007, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1979.
"A Theory of Competitive Equilibrium in Stock Market Economies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 293-329, March.
- Sanford Grossman & Oliver Hart, 1978. "A theory of competitive equilibrium in stock market economies," Special Studies Papers 115, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Camelia Bejan, 2008. "The objective of a privately owned firm under imperfect competition," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 99-118, October.
- Oussama Lachiri & Jean-Marc Bonnisseau, 2004. "Dreze's Criterion In A Multi-Period Economy With Stock Markets," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 88, Royal Economic Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:40:y:2004:i:5:p:493-513. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.