Shareholder-efficient production plans in multi-period economy
We propose an objective for the firm in a general model of production economies extending over time under uncertainty and with incomplete markets. Trading in commodities and shares of stock occurs sequentially on spot markets at all date-events. We derive the objective of the firm from the assumption of initial-shareholders efficiency. Each shareholder is assumed to commnicate to the firm her marginal valuation of profits at all date events (expressed in terms of initial resources). In defining her own marginal valuation of the firm’s profits, a shareholder will take two elements into consideration. To evaluate the direct impact of a change in dividends the shareholder uses her own vector of marginal rates of substitution for revenue across date-events. In addition, the shareholder will take into account the impact of future dividends on the firm’s stock price when she trades shares. To predict the effect on the stock price, she uses a (possibly different) state price process, her price theory. The only restriction that we impose on consumers’ price theories is that they should be compatible with the observed equilibrium : given the equilibrium prices and production plans, a price theory must satisfy a no-arbitrage condition. The firm computes its own shadow prices for profits at all date-events by simply adding up the marginal valuations of all its initial shareholders. We prove existence of an equilibrium.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau & Oussama Lachiri, 2004.
"On the objective of firms under uncertainty with stock markets,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Bonnisseau, Jean-Marc & Lachiri, Oussama, 2004. "On the objective of firms under uncertainty with stock markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 493-513, August.
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau & Oussama Lachiri, 2004. "On the objective of firms under uncertainty with stock markets," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques b04122, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Geanakoplos, John, 1990. "An introduction to general equilibrium with incomplete asset markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 1-38.
- Magill, Michael & Shafer, Wayne, 1991. "Incomplete markets," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 30, pages 1523-1614 Elsevier.
- Oussama Lachiri & Jean-Marc Bonnisseau, 2004. "Dreze's Criterion In A Multi-Period Economy With Stock Markets," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 88, Royal Economic Society.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., "undated".
"Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
916, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., 1990. "Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-151.
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii & J. Dreze, 1988. "Generic Inefficiency of Stock Market Equilibrium When Markets Are Incomplete," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 863, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dreze, J.H., 1984.
"(Uncertainty and) the firm in general equilibrium theory,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1984026, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dreze, Jacques H, 1985. "(Uncertainty and) the Firm in General Equilibrium Theory," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380a), pages 1-20, Supplemen.
- Radner, Roy, 1972. "Existence of Equilibrium of Plans, Prices, and Price Expectations in a Sequence of Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 289-303, March.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1979. "A Theory of Competitive Equilibrium in Stock Market Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 293-329, March.
- Bisin, Alberto, 1998. "General Equilibrium with Endogenously Incomplete Financial Markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 19-45, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvec:2007042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.