On the objective of firms under uncertainty with stock markets
In a multi-period, multi-commodity economy with stock markets, we try to extend the work of Drèze (1974) to define the behaviour of the firms. We exhibit first order necessary conditions for a constrained Pareto optimal allocation. The financial constraints lead to non-collinear supporting spot prices for the consumers at each node. Nevertheless, the firms are satisfying a first order necessary condition for profit maximization with respect to a price computed as the Drèze's prices. These prices are also consistent in the sense that the present value of the firms computed with the personal prices of the stockholders and with the Drèze's prices coincide when short sales are allowed. We also show that these conditions are simpler if we consider an allocation at which each consumer maximizes his preferences, when they are smooth. This allows us to give a formal definition for the objective of the firms, which extend the Drèze's criterion. We also discuss different definitions of constrained feasibility and we provide the related necessary conditions, which do not differ for the production sector.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13|
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1979. "A Theory of Competitive Equilibrium in Stock Market Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 293-329, March.
- Egbert Dierker & Hildegard Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 2000.
"Objectives of an Imperfectly Competitive Firm: A Surplus Approach,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2000-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Egbert Dierker & Hildegard Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 2000. "Objectives of an Imperfectly Competitive Firm: A Surplus Approach," Vienna Economics Papers 0007, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Oussama Lachiri & Jean-Marc Bonnisseau, 2004. "Dreze's Criterion In A Multi-Period Economy With Stock Markets," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 88, Royal Economic Society.
- Camelia Bejan, 2008. "The objective of a privately owned firm under imperfect competition," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 37(1), pages 99-118, October.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1975. "Pareto Optimality in Non-Convex Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., 1990. "Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-151.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., "undated". "Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete," CORE Discussion Papers RP 916, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii & J. Dreze, 1988. "Generic Inefficiency of Stock Market Equilibrium When Markets Are Incomplete," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 863, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.