The Dreze and Grossman-Hart criteria for production in incomplete markets: Voting foundations and compared political stability
This paper studies corporate control in a general equilibrium model with incomplete markets. At the market equilibrium, shareholders typically disagree on the way to evaluate production plans outside the market span. Hence a collective decision mechanism is needed to resolve this conflict. A mechanism proposed by Drèze (1974), resp. Grossman & Hart (1979), consists in allowing (Lindahl-like) sidepayments between final, resp. initial, shareholders. Although it is likely to exhibit desirable efficiency properties, this mechanism is difficult to implement. Another mechanism (e.g., Drèze (1985) and De-Marzo (1993)) relies on majority voting by shareholders. Since voting occurs in a multidimensional setup, super majority rules are needed to ensure existence of equilibria. We give conditions under which sidepayment equilibria are voting equilibria for the smallest rate of super majority ensuring existence. Thereby we are able to compare the relative performances of the Drèze and Grossman-Hart criteria with respect to stability in the voting mechanism. We show that the endogenization of portfolio holding in the Drèze criterion can either help or completely jeopardize the aggregation process, depending on the shareholders' expectations. This ambivalence is absent in the Grossman-Hart criteria.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HEC Paris, 78351 Jouy-en-Josas cedex, France|
Web page: http://www.hec.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Momi, Takeshi, 2001. "Non-existence of equilibrium in an incomplete stock market economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 41-70, February.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1979. "A Theory of Competitive Equilibrium in Stock Market Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 293-329, March.
- Egbert Dierker & Hildegard Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 2000.
"Nonexistence of Constrained Efficient Equilibria when Markets are Incomplete,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2000-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Egbert Dierker & Hildegard Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 2002. "Nonexistence of Constrained Efficient Equilibria When Markets are Incomplete," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1245-1251, May.
- Egbert Dierker & Hildegard Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 2001. "Nonexistence of constrained Efficient Equilibria when Markets are Incomplete," Vienna Economics Papers 0111, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Greenberg, Joseph, 1979. "Consistent Majority Rules over Compact Sets of Alternatives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 627-636, May.
- Sadanand, Asha B & Williamson, John M, 1991. "Equilibrium in a Stock Market Economy with Shareholder Voting," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Caplin, Andrew & Nalebuff, Barry, 1991.
"Aggregation and Social Choice: A Mean Voter Theorem,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Andrew Caplin & Barry Nalebuff, 1990. "Aggregation and Social Choice: A Mean Voter Theorem," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 938, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Simon Benninga & Eitan Muller, 1979. "Majority Choice and the Objective Function of the Firm under Uncertainty," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(2), pages 670-682, Autumn.
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii & J. Dreze, 1988.
"Generic Inefficiency of Stock Market Equilibrium When Markets Are Incomplete,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
863, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., 1990. "Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-151.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., "undated". "Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete," CORE Discussion Papers RP 916, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Peter M. DeMarzo, 1993. "Majority Voting and Corporate Control: The Rule of the Dominant Shareholder," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 713-734.