Time-varying estimates of CAPM betas
It is well known that the CAPM beta is not stable over time. We investigate the nature of the time-variation in betas using monthly Australian data from 1979 to 1994 for 23 sectors. We discuss beta estimates for sub-periods and tests of the statistical adequacy of the market model used to estimate the betas. We estimate time-varying betas using recursive regressions, rolling regressions and using the Kalman Filter. We find considerable time-variation in the estimated betas and find that many are non-stationary. We estimate a simple model which explains the variation in each of the betas in terms of a time trend, allowing for a break both in level and in trend at October 1987. The model explains a large proportion of the variation in the betas over the sample period for most of the sectors.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 48 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/mathematics-and-computers-in-simulation/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A Black & P Fraser & D Power, "undated".
"Uk Unit Trust Performance 1980-1989: A Passive Time-Varying Approach,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
023, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Black, A. & Fraser, P. & Power, D., 1992. "UK unit trust performance 1980-1989: A passive time-varying approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 1015-1033, September.
- Brooks, R.D. & Faff, R.W. & Lee, J.H.H., 1994.
"Beta Stability and Portfolio Formation,"
94-3, Melbourne - Centre in Finance.
- Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W. & Lee, John H. H., 1995. "Beta stability and portfolio formation," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 145-146, May.
- Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W. & Lee, John H. H., 1994. "Beta stability and portfolio formation," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 463-479, December.
- Bos, T & Newbold, P, 1984. "An Empirical Investigation of the Possibility of Stochastic Systematic Risk in the Market Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 35-41, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matcom:v:48:y:1999:i:4:p:531-539. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.