Corporate Social Responsibility in the extractive industries: Experiences from developing countries
This paper introduces a special issue on ‘Corporate Social Responsibility in the extractive industries: experiences from developing countries’. Drawing upon case study analysis from Latin America, sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, the papers in this issue broaden understanding of how multinational mining and oil and gas companies have embraced the CSR challenge and responded to criticisms of their performance in developing countries. This paper provides an introduction to the debate on CSR in the extractive industries in developing countries, reviewing the key issues examined on this subject to date.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neal, Robert & Cochran, Philip L., 2008. "Corporate social responsibility, corporate governance, and financial performance: Lessons from finance," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 535-540.
- Shanklin, William L., 1976. "Corporate social responsibility: Another view," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 75-84, February.
- Holmes, Sandra L., 1976. "Executive perceptions of corporate social responsibility," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 34-40, June.
- Tschakert, Petra, 2009. "Recognizing and nurturing artisanal mining as a viable livelihood," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 24-31.
- Byron, William J. & Byron, S. J., 1982. "In defense of social responsibility," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 189-192.
- Scholtens, Bert, 2008. "A note on the interaction between corporate social responsibility and financial performance," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1-2), pages 46-55, December.
- Walton, Clarence C., 1982. "Corporate social responsibility: The debate revisited," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 173-187.
- Gavin Hilson & Sadia Mohammed Banchirigah, 2009. "Are Alternative Livelihood Projects Alleviating Poverty in Mining Communities? Experiences from Ghana," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(2), pages 172-196.
- Knox, Simon & Maklan, Stan, 2004. "Corporate Social Responsibility:: Moving Beyond Investment Towards Measuring Outcomes," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 508-516, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jrpoli:v:37:y:2012:i:2:p:131-137. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.