The crude oil market and the gold market: Evidence for cointegration, causality and price discovery
Given that the gold market and the crude oil market are the main representatives of the large commodity markets, it is of crucial practical significance to analyze their cointegration relationship and causality, and investigate their respective contribution, from the perspective of price discovery, to the common price trend so as to interpret the dynamics of the whole large commodity market and forecast the fluctuation of crude oil and gold prices. Empirical analysis indicates that, first, there are consistent trends between the crude oil price and the gold price with significant positive correlation coefficient 0.9295 during the sampling period, from January of 2000 to March of 2008. Second, there can be seen a long-term equilibrium between the two markets, and the crude oil price change linearly Granger causes the volatility of gold price, but not vice versa; moreover, the two market prices do not face a significant nonlinear Granger causality, which overall suggests their fairly direct interactive mechanism. Finally, with regard to the common effective price between the two markets, the contribution of the crude oil price seems larger than that of the gold price, whether with the permanent transitory (PT) model (86.50% versus 13.50%) or the information share (IS) model (50.28% versus 49.72%), which implies that the influence of crude oil on global economic development proves more far-reaching and extensive, and its role in the large commodity markets has attracted more attention in recent years.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aggarwal, Raj & Lucey, Brian M., 2007.
"Psychological barriers in gold prices?,"
Review of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 217-230.
- Brian Lucey & Raj Aggarwal, 2005. "Psychological Barriers in Gold Prices," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp053, IIIS.
- Su, Qian & Chong, Terence Tai-Leung, 2007. "Determining the contributions to price discovery for Chinese cross-listed stocks," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 140-153, April.
- Erdal, Gülistan & Erdal, Hilmi & Esengün, Kemal, 2008. "The causality between energy consumption and economic growth in Turkey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3838-3842, October.
- Zhang, Yue-Jun & Fan, Ying & Tsai, Hsien-Tang & Wei, Yi-Ming, 2008. "Spillover effect of US dollar exchange rate on oil prices," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 973-991.
- Henriques, Irene & Sadorsky, Perry, 2008. "Oil prices and the stock prices of alternative energy companies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 998-1010, May.
- Chiou-Wei, Song Zan & Chen, Ching-Fu & Zhu, Zhen, 2008.
"Economic growth and energy consumption revisited -- Evidence from linear and nonlinear Granger causality,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 3063-3076, November.
- Chiou-Wei, Song Zan & Chen, Ching-Fu & Zhu, Zhen, 2009. "Economic growth and energy consumption revisited -- Evidence from linear and nonlinear Granger causality," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 235-239, March.
- Ma, Yue & Kanas, Angelos, 2000. "Testing for nonlinear Granger causality from fundamentals to exchange rates in the ERM," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 69-82, January.
- Tully, Edel & Lucey, Brian M., 2007. "A power GARCH examination of the gold market," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 316-325, June.
- Sjaastad, Larry A. & Scacciavillani, Fabio, 1996.
"The price of gold and the exchange rate,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 879-897, December.
- Tang, Chor Foon, 2008. "A re-examination of the relationship between electricity consumption and economic growth in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 3067-3075, August.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Hiemstra, Craig & Jones, Jonathan D, 1994. " Testing for Linear and Nonlinear Granger Causality in the Stock Price-Volume Relation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1639-64, December.
- Sjaastad, Larry A., 2008.
"The price of gold and the exchange rates: Once again,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 118-124, June.
- Larry A. Sjaastad, 2007. "The Price of Gold and the Exchange Rates: Once Again," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 07-20, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Geoffrey Booth, G. & Tse, Yiuman & Zabotina, Tatyana, 2002. "Price discovery and common factor models," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-321, July.
- Rashid, Abdul, 2007. "Stock prices and trading volume: An assessment for linear and nonlinear Granger causality," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 595-612, August.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Granger, Clive W J, 1995.
"Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Gonzalo and Granger JBES 1995 paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00074, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gonzalo, J. & Granger, C., 1992. "Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems," Papers 4, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Xu, Xiaoqing Eleanor & Fung, Hung-Gay, 2005. "Cross-market linkages between U.S. and Japanese precious metals futures trading," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 107-124, April.
- deB. Harris, Frederick H. & McInish, Thomas H. & Shoesmith, Gary L. & Wood, Robert A., 1995. "Cointegration, Error Correction, and Price Discovery on Informationally Linked Security Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(04), pages 563-579, December.
- Bekiros, S. & Diks, C.G.H., 2007.
"The Relationship between Crude Oil Spot and Futures Prices: Cointegration, Linear and Nonlinear Causality,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
07-11, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Bekiros, Stelios D. & Diks, Cees G.H., 2008. "The relationship between crude oil spot and futures prices: Cointegration, linear and nonlinear causality," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2673-2685, September.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Causality, cointegration, and control," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 551-559.
- Nakamura, Tomomichi & Small, Michael, 2007. "Tests of the random walk hypothesis for financial data," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 377(2), pages 599-615.
- Yang, Hao-Yen, 2000. "A note on the causal relationship between energy and GDP in Taiwan," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 309-317, June.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jrpoli:v:35:y:2010:i:3:p:168-177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.