Interest rate pass-through in Portugal: Interactions, asymmetries and heterogeneities
This study looks at and finds interactions—between lending, deposit, and interbank rates—and asymmetries in interactions, in the pass-through to retail bank interest rates in Portugal. We uncover heterogeneous adjustments of bank rates as between sectors, between loans and deposits, and across maturities—which include complete long-run pass-through to corporate lending rates but rigidities for the personal sector, and incomplete long-run adjustment of deposit rates which also adjust asymmetrically. The results shed new light into understanding the behaviour of banks and the transmission mechanism of monetary policy, which is of value to future policy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mester, Loretta J. & Saunders, Anthony, 1995.
"When does the prime rate change?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 743-764, August.
- Sarno, Lucio & Thornton, Daniel L., 2003.
"The dynamic relationship between the federal funds rate and the Treasury bill rate: An empirical investigation,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1079-1110, June.
- Sarno, Lucio & Thornton, Daniel L, 2002. "The Dynamic Relationship Between the Federal Funds rate and the Treasury Bill Rate: An Empirical Investigation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lucio Sarno & Daniel L. Thornton, 2002. "The dynamic relationship between the federal funds rate and the Treasury bill rate: an empirical investigation," Working Papers 2000-032, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Egert, Balazs & Crespo-Cuaresma, Jesus & Reininger, Thomas, 2007.
"Interest rate pass-through in central and Eastern Europe: Reborn from ashes merely to pass away?,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 209-225.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Balázs Égert & Thomas Reininger, 2006. "Interest Rate Pass-Through in Central and Eastern Europe: Reborn from Ashes Merely to Pass Away?," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 88-111.
- Balázs Égert & Jesus Crespo-Cuaresma & Thomas Reininger, 2006. "Interest Rate Pass-Through in Central and Eastern Europe: Reborn from Ashes Merely to Pass Away?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp851, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Chionis, Dionysios P. & Leon, Costas A., 2006. "Interest rate transmission in Greece: Did EMU cause a structural break?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 453-466, May.
- Sander, Harald & Kleimeier, Stefanie, 2004.
"Convergence in euro-zone retail banking? What interest rate pass-through tells us about monetary policy transmission, competition and integration,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 461-492, April.
- Sander Harald & Kleimeier Stefanie, 2003. "Convergence in Eurozone retail banking? What interest rate pass-through tells us about monetary policy transmission, competition and integration," Research Memorandum 051, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, March.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-45, September.
- Barry Scholnick, 1999. "Interest Rate Asymmetries in Long-Term Loan and Deposit Markets," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 5-26, September.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1987. "Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 375-94, May.
- Fried, Joel & Howitt, Peter, 1980. "Credit Rationing and Implicit Contract Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 12(3), pages 471-87, August.
- David Neumark & Steven A. Sharpe, 1989.
"Market structure and the nature of price rigidity: evidence from the market for consumer deposits,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
52, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Neumark, David & Sharpe, Steven A, 1992. "Market Structure and the Nature of Price Rigidity: Evidence from the Market for Consumer Deposits," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 657-80, May.
- Gabe J. de Bondt, 2005. "Interest Rate Pass-Through: Empirical Results for the Euro Area," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(1), pages 37-78, 02.
- Klemperer, Paul D, 1987. "Entry Deterrence in Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388a), pages 99-117, Supplemen.
- Lim, G C, 2001. "Bank Interest Rate Adjustments: Are They Asymmetric?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(237), pages 135-47, June.
- Carlo Cottarelli & Angeliki Kourelis, 1994. "Financial Structure, Bank Lending Rates, and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(4), pages 587-623, December.
- Angeliki Kourelis & Carlo Cottarelli, 1994. "Financial Structure, Bank Lending Rates, and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 94/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Claudio E. V. Borio & Wilhelm Fritz, 1995. "The response of short-term bank lending rates to policy rates: a cross-country perspective," BIS Working Papers 27, Bank for International Settlements.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, August.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:34:y:2012:i:1:p:64-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.