Water resources management under multi-parameter interactions: A factorial multi-stage stochastic programming approach
The paper proposes a factorial multi-stage stochastic programming (FMSP) approach to support water resources management under uncertainty. This approach was developed based on the conventional inexact multi-stage stochastic programming method. Five alternative inexact multi-stage stochastic programming algorithms in addition to the conventional algorithm were introduced and bundled to offer multiple decision options that reflect decision makers' perspectives and the complexities in system uncertainties. More importantly, factorial analysis, a multivariate inference method, was introduced into the modeling framework to analyze the potential interrelationships among a variety of uncertain parameters and their impacts on system performance. The proposed approach was applied to a water resources management case. The desired water-allocation schemes were obtained to assist in maximizing the total net benefit of the system. Multiple uncertain parameters and their interactions were examined, and those that had significant influences on system performance were identified. For example, the medium flow in the third planning period was the system objective's most influential factor. Any variation of this factor would significantly influence the acquisition of the total net benefit in the community. The significant interactions were also identified, such as the interaction between the agricultural sector's penalty and the medium flow in the third planning period. Through the analysis of multi-parameter interactions, the interrelationships among the uncertain parameters could be further revealed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maqsood, Imran & Huang, Guo H. & Scott Yeomans, Julian, 2005. "An interval-parameter fuzzy two-stage stochastic program for water resources management under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 208-225, November.
- Huang, G. H. & Baetz, B. W. & Patry, G. G., 1995. "Grey fuzzy integer programming: An application to regional waste management planning under uncertainty," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 17-38, March.
- Kreye, M.E. & Goh, Y.M. & Newnes, L.B. & Goodwin, P., 2012. "Approaches to displaying information to assist decisions under uncertainty," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 682-692.
- Lin, Q.G. & Huang, G.H. & Bass, B. & Qin, X.S., 2009. "IFTEM: An interval-fuzzy two-stage stochastic optimization model for regional energy systems planning under uncertainty," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 868-878, March.
- Almiñana, M. & Escudero, L.F. & Landete, M. & Monge, J.F. & Rabasa, A. & Sánchez-Soriano, J., 2010. "WISCHE: A DSS for water irrigation scheduling," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 492-500, December.
- Huang, Guo H. & Baetz, Brian W. & Patry, Gilles G., 1995. "Grey integer programming: An application to waste management planning under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 594-620, June.
- Nickel, Stefan & Saldanha-da-Gama, Francisco & Ziegler, Hans-Peter, 2012. "A multi-stage stochastic supply network design problem with financial decisions and risk management," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 511-524.
- Durbach, Ian N. & Stewart, Theodor J., 2012. "A comparison of simplified value function approaches for treating uncertainty in multi-criteria decision analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 456-464.
- Huang, G. H., 1998. "A hybrid inexact-stochastic water management model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 137-158, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:3:p:559-573. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.