An integrated nurse staffing and scheduling analysis for longer-term nursing staff allocation problems
The efficient and effective management of nursing personnel is of critical importance in a hospital's environment comprising a vast share of the operational costs. The adopted nurse workforce practices and policies highly affect the nurses' working conditions and the provided quality of care. Policy decisions on the staffing level have an impact on the outcome of the scheduling level and vice versa. Isolated reasoning typically leads to suboptimal decisions often resulting in ineffective outcomes of care. In order to overcome these inefficiencies, we propose in this paper a new integrative nurse staffing and shift scheduling approach. We test and assess the benefits of our approach in a reallife environment. Moreover, we examine the impact of several personnel policies on the staffing decision.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Worthington, David & Guy, Mike, 1988. "Allocating nursing staff to hospital wards-- A case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 174-182, January.
- A.T. Ernst & H. Jiang & M. Krishnamoorthy & B. Owens & D. Sier, 2004. "An Annotated Bibliography of Personnel Scheduling and Rostering," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 21-144, March.
- Kao, Edward P. C. & Tung, Grace G., 1981. "Aggregate nursing requirement planning in a public health care delivery system," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 119-127.
- Brusco, MJ & Showalter, MJ, 1993. "Constrained nurse staffing analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 175-186, March.
- William S. Brownell & James M. Lowerre, 1976. "Scheduling of Work Forces Required in Continuous Operations Under Alternative Labor Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(5), pages 597-605, January.
- Henderson, John C & Krajewski, Lee J & Showalter, Michael J, 1982. "An integrated approach for manpower planning in the service sector," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 61-73.
- Vandankumar M. Trivedi & D. Michael Warner, 1976. "A Branch and Bound Algorithm for Optimum Allocation of Float Nurses," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(9), pages 972-981, May.
- Belien, Jeroen & Demeulemeester, Erik, 2006. "Scheduling trainees at a hospital department using a branch-and-price approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 258-278, November.
- Li, Jingpeng & Burke, Edmund K. & Curtois, Tim & Petrovic, Sanja & Qu, Rong, 2012. "The falling tide algorithm: A new multi-objective approach for complex workforce scheduling," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 283-293.
- Jaumard, Brigitte & Semet, Frederic & Vovor, Tsevi, 1998. "A generalized linear programming model for nurse scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 1-18, May.
- Venkataraman, R. & Brusco, M. J., 1996. "An integrated analysis of nurse staffing and scheduling policies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 57-71, February.
- Vanhoucke, Mario & Maenhout, Broos, 2009. "On the characterization and generation of nurse scheduling problem instances," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 457-467, July.
- Gerard M. Campbell, 1999. "Cross-Utilization of Workers Whose Capabilities Differ," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(5), pages 722-732, May.
- Bard, Jonathan F. & Purnomo, Hadi W., 2005. "Preference scheduling for nurses using column generation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 510-534, July.
- Ernst, A. T. & Jiang, H. & Krishnamoorthy, M. & Sier, D., 2004. "Staff scheduling and rostering: A review of applications, methods and models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 3-27, February.
- Song, Haiqing & Huang, Huei-Chuen, 2008. "A successive convex approximation method for multistage workforce capacity planning problem with turnover," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(1), pages 29-48, July.
- Stewart, B. D. & Webster, D. B. & Ahmad, S. & Matson, J. O., 1994. "Mathematical models for developing a flexible workforce," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 243-254, October.
- Edieal J. Pinker & Robert A. Shumsky, 2000. "The Efficiency-Quality Trade-Off of Cross-Trained Workers," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 32-48, July.
- Chang, Shyr-Juh & Hsiao, Hsing-Chin & Huang, Li-Hua & Chang, Hsihui, 2011. "Taiwan quality indicator project and hospital productivity growth," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 14-22, January.
- Campbell, Gerard M. & Diaby, Moustapha, 2002. "Development and evaluation of an assignment heuristic for allocating cross-trained workers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 9-20, April.
- Gary M. Thompson, 1995. "Improved Implicit Optimal Modeling of the Labor Shift Scheduling Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(4), pages 595-607, April.
- Christine Edwards & Olive Robinson, 2004. "Evaluating the Business Case for Part-time Working amongst Qualified Nurses," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 42(1), pages 167-183, 03.
- Belií«n, Jeroen & Demeulemeester, Erik, 2008. "A branch-and-price approach for integrating nurse and surgery scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 189(3), pages 652-668, September.
- Rosenbloom, E. S. & Goertzen, N. F., 1987. "Cyclic nurse scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 19-23, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:2:p:485-499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.