An integrated nurse staffing and scheduling analysis for longer-term nursing staff allocation problems
The efficient and effective management of nursing personnel is of critical importance in a hospital's environment comprising a vast share of the operational costs. The adopted nurse workforce practices and policies highly affect the nurses' working conditions and the provided quality of care. Policy decisions on the staffing level have an impact on the outcome of the scheduling level and vice versa. Isolated reasoning typically leads to suboptimal decisions often resulting in ineffective outcomes of care. In order to overcome these inefficiencies, we propose in this paper a new integrative nurse staffing and shift scheduling approach. We test and assess the benefits of our approach in a reallife environment. Moreover, we examine the impact of several personnel policies on the staffing decision.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henderson, John C & Krajewski, Lee J & Showalter, Michael J, 1982. "An integrated approach for manpower planning in the service sector," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 61-73.
- Gerard M. Campbell, 1999. "Cross-Utilization of Workers Whose Capabilities Differ," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(5), pages 722-732, May.
- Ernst, A. T. & Jiang, H. & Krishnamoorthy, M. & Sier, D., 2004. "Staff scheduling and rostering: A review of applications, methods and models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 3-27, February.
- Christine Edwards & Olive Robinson, 2004. "Evaluating the Business Case for Part-time Working amongst Qualified Nurses," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 42(1), pages 167-183, 03.
- Vandankumar M. Trivedi & D. Michael Warner, 1976. "A Branch and Bound Algorithm for Optimum Allocation of Float Nurses," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(9), pages 972-981, May.
- Belií«n, Jeroen & Demeulemeester, Erik, 2008. "A branch-and-price approach for integrating nurse and surgery scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 189(3), pages 652-668, September.
- Jaumard, Brigitte & Semet, Frederic & Vovor, Tsevi, 1998. "A generalized linear programming model for nurse scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 1-18, May.
- William S. Brownell & James M. Lowerre, 1976. "Scheduling of Work Forces Required in Continuous Operations Under Alternative Labor Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(5), pages 597-605, January.
- Chang, Shyr-Juh & Hsiao, Hsing-Chin & Huang, Li-Hua & Chang, Hsihui, 2011. "Taiwan quality indicator project and hospital productivity growth," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 14-22, January.
- Worthington, David & Guy, Mike, 1988. "Allocating nursing staff to hospital wards-- A case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 174-182, January.
- Bard, Jonathan F. & Purnomo, Hadi W., 2005. "Preference scheduling for nurses using column generation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 510-534, July.
- Vanhoucke, Mario & Maenhout, Broos, 2009. "On the characterization and generation of nurse scheduling problem instances," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 457-467, July.
- Kao, Edward P. C. & Tung, Grace G., 1981. "Aggregate nursing requirement planning in a public health care delivery system," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 119-127.
- Belien, Jeroen & Demeulemeester, Erik, 2006. "Scheduling trainees at a hospital department using a branch-and-price approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 258-278, November.
- Stewart, B. D. & Webster, D. B. & Ahmad, S. & Matson, J. O., 1994. "Mathematical models for developing a flexible workforce," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 243-254, October.
- Song, Haiqing & Huang, Huei-Chuen, 2008. "A successive convex approximation method for multistage workforce capacity planning problem with turnover," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(1), pages 29-48, July.
- Brusco, MJ & Showalter, MJ, 1993. "Constrained nurse staffing analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 175-186, March.
- Venkataraman, R. & Brusco, M. J., 1996. "An integrated analysis of nurse staffing and scheduling policies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 57-71, February.
- Gary M. Thompson, 1995. "Improved Implicit Optimal Modeling of the Labor Shift Scheduling Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(4), pages 595-607, April.
- Campbell, Gerard M. & Diaby, Moustapha, 2002. "Development and evaluation of an assignment heuristic for allocating cross-trained workers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 9-20, April.
- Li, Jingpeng & Burke, Edmund K. & Curtois, Tim & Petrovic, Sanja & Qu, Rong, 2012. "The falling tide algorithm: A new multi-objective approach for complex workforce scheduling," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 283-293.
- Edieal J. Pinker & Robert A. Shumsky, 2000. "The Efficiency-Quality Trade-Off of Cross-Trained Workers," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 32-48, July.
- Rosenbloom, E. S. & Goertzen, N. F., 1987. "Cyclic nurse scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 19-23, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:2:p:485-499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.