An integrated nurse staffing and scheduling analysis for longer-term nursing staff allocation problems
The efficient and effective management of nursing personnel is of critical importance in a hospital's environment comprising a vast share of the operational costs. The adopted nurse workforce practices and policies highly affect the nurses' working conditions and the provided quality of care. Policy decisions on the staffing level have an impact on the outcome of the scheduling level and vice versa. Isolated reasoning typically leads to suboptimal decisions often resulting in ineffective outcomes of care. In order to overcome these inefficiencies, we propose in this paper a new integrative nurse staffing and shift scheduling approach. We test and assess the benefits of our approach in a reallife environment. Moreover, we examine the impact of several personnel policies on the staffing decision.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brusco, MJ & Showalter, MJ, 1993. "Constrained nurse staffing analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 175-186, March.
- Edieal J. Pinker & Robert A. Shumsky, 2000. "The Efficiency-Quality Trade-Off of Cross-Trained Workers," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 32-48, July.
- Kao, Edward P. C. & Tung, Grace G., 1981. "Aggregate nursing requirement planning in a public health care delivery system," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 119-127.
- William S. Brownell & James M. Lowerre, 1976. "Scheduling of Work Forces Required in Continuous Operations Under Alternative Labor Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(5), pages 597-605, January.
- Rosenbloom, E. S. & Goertzen, N. F., 1987. "Cyclic nurse scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 19-23, July.
- Stewart, B. D. & Webster, D. B. & Ahmad, S. & Matson, J. O., 1994. "Mathematical models for developing a flexible workforce," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 243-254, October.
- Christine Edwards & Olive Robinson, 2004. "Evaluating the Business Case for Part-time Working amongst Qualified Nurses," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 42(1), pages 167-183, March.
- Chang, Shyr-Juh & Hsiao, Hsing-Chin & Huang, Li-Hua & Chang, Hsihui, 2011. "Taiwan quality indicator project and hospital productivity growth," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 14-22, January.
- Song, Haiqing & Huang, Huei-Chuen, 2008. "A successive convex approximation method for multistage workforce capacity planning problem with turnover," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(1), pages 29-48, July.
- A.T. Ernst & H. Jiang & M. Krishnamoorthy & B. Owens & D. Sier, 2004. "An Annotated Bibliography of Personnel Scheduling and Rostering," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 21-144, March.
- Li, Jingpeng & Burke, Edmund K. & Curtois, Tim & Petrovic, Sanja & Qu, Rong, 2012. "The falling tide algorithm: A new multi-objective approach for complex workforce scheduling," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 283-293.
- Ernst, A. T. & Jiang, H. & Krishnamoorthy, M. & Sier, D., 2004. "Staff scheduling and rostering: A review of applications, methods and models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 3-27, February.
- Vanhoucke, Mario & Maenhout, Broos, 2009. "On the characterization and generation of nurse scheduling problem instances," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 457-467, July.
- Campbell, Gerard M. & Diaby, Moustapha, 2002. "Development and evaluation of an assignment heuristic for allocating cross-trained workers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 9-20, April.
- Venkataraman, R. & Brusco, M. J., 1996. "An integrated analysis of nurse staffing and scheduling policies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 57-71, February.
- Gerard M. Campbell, 1999. "Cross-Utilization of Workers Whose Capabilities Differ," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(5), pages 722-732, May.
- Worthington, David & Guy, Mike, 1988. "Allocating nursing staff to hospital wards-- A case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 174-182, January.
- Henderson, John C & Krajewski, Lee J & Showalter, Michael J, 1982. "An integrated approach for manpower planning in the service sector," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 61-73.
- Belien, Jeroen & Demeulemeester, Erik, 2006. "Scheduling trainees at a hospital department using a branch-and-price approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 258-278, November.
- Gary M. Thompson, 1995. "Improved Implicit Optimal Modeling of the Labor Shift Scheduling Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(4), pages 595-607, April.
- Jaumard, Brigitte & Semet, Frederic & Vovor, Tsevi, 1998. "A generalized linear programming model for nurse scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 1-18, May.
- Vandankumar M. Trivedi & D. Michael Warner, 1976. "A Branch and Bound Algorithm for Optimum Allocation of Float Nurses," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(9), pages 972-981, May.
- Bard, Jonathan F. & Purnomo, Hadi W., 2005. "Preference scheduling for nurses using column generation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 510-534, July.
- Belií«n, Jeroen & Demeulemeester, Erik, 2008. "A branch-and-price approach for integrating nurse and surgery scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 189(3), pages 652-668, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:2:p:485-499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.