An integrated analysis of nurse staffing and scheduling policies
In this paper we present an integrated nurse staffing and scheduling system for analyzing nurse workforce management policies. A mixed-integer linear programming nurse staffing model is used to determine aggregate labor requirements for a 6-month planning horizon. Subsequently, a mixed-integer linear programming model is used to disaggregate the nurse staffing plan into 2-week labor schedules. The integrative system permits recursion between the staffing and scheduling models and thus enables nurse workforce management to rapidly evaluate the impact of both staffing and scheduling policies. We use the new system to study the effects of staffing and scheduling policies on labor costs. The results suggest that there are indeed important interactions between staffing and scheduling policies.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brusco, MJ & Showalter, MJ, 1993. "Constrained nurse staffing analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 175-186, March.
- Siferd, Sue Perrott & Benton, W. C., 1992. "Workforce staffing and scheduling: Hospital nursing specific models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 233-246, August.
- Henderson, John C & Krajewski, Lee J & Showalter, Michael J, 1982. "An integrated approach for manpower planning in the service sector," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 61-73.
- D. Michael Warner & Juan Prawda, 1972. "A Mathematical Programming Model for Scheduling Nursing Personnel in a Hospital," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(4-Part-1), pages 411-422, December.
- Rosenbloom, E. S. & Goertzen, N. F., 1987. "Cyclic nurse scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 19-23, July.
- Edward P. C. Kao & Maurice Queyranne, 1985. "Budgeting Costs of Nursing in a Hospital," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(5), pages 608-621, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:24:y:1996:i:1:p:57-71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.