An integrated analysis of nurse staffing and scheduling policies
In this paper we present an integrated nurse staffing and scheduling system for analyzing nurse workforce management policies. A mixed-integer linear programming nurse staffing model is used to determine aggregate labor requirements for a 6-month planning horizon. Subsequently, a mixed-integer linear programming model is used to disaggregate the nurse staffing plan into 2-week labor schedules. The integrative system permits recursion between the staffing and scheduling models and thus enables nurse workforce management to rapidly evaluate the impact of both staffing and scheduling policies. We use the new system to study the effects of staffing and scheduling policies on labor costs. The results suggest that there are indeed important interactions between staffing and scheduling policies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brusco, MJ & Showalter, MJ, 1993. "Constrained nurse staffing analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 175-186, March.
- D. Michael Warner & Juan Prawda, 1972. "A Mathematical Programming Model for Scheduling Nursing Personnel in a Hospital," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(4-Part-1), pages 411-422, December.
- Rosenbloom, E. S. & Goertzen, N. F., 1987. "Cyclic nurse scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 19-23, July.
- Edward P. C. Kao & Maurice Queyranne, 1985. "Budgeting Costs of Nursing in a Hospital," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(5), pages 608-621, May.
- Siferd, Sue Perrott & Benton, W. C., 1992. "Workforce staffing and scheduling: Hospital nursing specific models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 233-246, August.
- Henderson, John C & Krajewski, Lee J & Showalter, Michael J, 1982. "An integrated approach for manpower planning in the service sector," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 61-73.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:24:y:1996:i:1:p:57-71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.