An optimization model for volunteer assignments in humanitarian organizations
One of the challenges facing humanitarian organizations is that there exist limited decision technologies that are tailored specifically to their needs. While employee workforce management models have been the topic of extensive research over the past decades, very little work has yet concentrated on the problem of managing volunteers for humanitarian organizations. This paper develops a multi-criteria optimization model to assist in the assignment of volunteers to tasks, based upon a series of principles from the field of volunteer management. In particular, it offers a new volunteer management approach for incorporating the decision maker's preferences and knowledge into the volunteer assignment process, thus allowing him or her to closely examine the tradeoffs between potentially conflicting objectives. Test results illustrate the model's ability to capture these tradeoffs and represent the imprecision inherent in the work of humanitarian organizations, and thus demonstrate its ability to support efficient and effective volunteer management.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yi, Pengfei & George, Santhosh K. & Paul, Jomon Aliyas & Lin, Li, 2010. "Hospital capacity planning for disaster emergency management," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 151-160, September.
- Barbarosoglu, Gulay & Ozdamar, Linet & Cevik, Ahmet, 2002. "An interactive approach for hierarchical analysis of helicopter logistics in disaster relief operations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 118-133, July.
- D. Parr & J. Thompson, 2007. "Solving the multi-objective nurse scheduling problem with a weighted cost function," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 155(1), pages 279-288, November.
- Janiak, Adam & Kovalyov, Mikhail Y., 2006. "Scheduling in a contaminated area: A model and polynomial algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 125-132, August.
- Gloria Simo, 2009. "Sustaining Cross-Sector Collaborations: Lessons from New Orleans," Public Organization Review, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 367-384, December.
- Rommelfanger, Heinrich, 1996. "Fuzzy linear programming and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 92(3), pages 512-527, August.
- Altay, Nezih & Green III, Walter G., 2006. "OR/MS research in disaster operations management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 475-493, November.
- Venkataraman, R. & Brusco, M. J., 1996. "An integrated analysis of nurse staffing and scheduling policies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 57-71, February.
- Sheu, Jiuh-Biing, 2007. "An emergency logistics distribution approach for quick response to urgent relief demand in disasters," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 687-709, November.
- Sheu, Jiuh-Biing, 2010. "Dynamic relief-demand management for emergency logistics operations under large-scale disasters," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Haghani, Ali & Oh, Sei-Chang, 1996. "Formulation and solution of a multi-commodity, multi-modal network flow model for disaster relief operations," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 231-250, May.
- Ernst, A. T. & Jiang, H. & Krishnamoorthy, M. & Sier, D., 2004. "Staff scheduling and rostering: A review of applications, methods and models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 3-27, February.
- Tzeng, Gwo-Hshiung & Cheng, Hsin-Jung & Huang, Tsung Dow, 2007. "Multi-objective optimal planning for designing relief delivery systems," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 673-686, November.
- Jotshi, Arun & Gong, Qiang & Batta, Rajan, 2009. "Dispatching and routing of emergency vehicles in disaster mitigation using data fusion," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-24, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:46:y:2012:i:4:p:250-260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.