An optimization model for volunteer assignments in humanitarian organizations
One of the challenges facing humanitarian organizations is that there exist limited decision technologies that are tailored specifically to their needs. While employee workforce management models have been the topic of extensive research over the past decades, very little work has yet concentrated on the problem of managing volunteers for humanitarian organizations. This paper develops a multi-criteria optimization model to assist in the assignment of volunteers to tasks, based upon a series of principles from the field of volunteer management. In particular, it offers a new volunteer management approach for incorporating the decision maker's preferences and knowledge into the volunteer assignment process, thus allowing him or her to closely examine the tradeoffs between potentially conflicting objectives. Test results illustrate the model's ability to capture these tradeoffs and represent the imprecision inherent in the work of humanitarian organizations, and thus demonstrate its ability to support efficient and effective volunteer management.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D. Parr & J. Thompson, 2007. "Solving the multi-objective nurse scheduling problem with a weighted cost function," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 155(1), pages 279-288, November.
- Yi, Pengfei & George, Santhosh K. & Paul, Jomon Aliyas & Lin, Li, 2010. "Hospital capacity planning for disaster emergency management," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 151-160, September.
- Tzeng, Gwo-Hshiung & Cheng, Hsin-Jung & Huang, Tsung Dow, 2007. "Multi-objective optimal planning for designing relief delivery systems," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 673-686, November.
- Haghani, Ali & Oh, Sei-Chang, 1996. "Formulation and solution of a multi-commodity, multi-modal network flow model for disaster relief operations," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 231-250, May.
- Gloria Simo, 2009. "Sustaining Cross-Sector Collaborations: Lessons from New Orleans," Public Organization Review, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 367-384, December.
- Janiak, Adam & Kovalyov, Mikhail Y., 2006. "Scheduling in a contaminated area: A model and polynomial algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 125-132, August.
- Sheu, Jiuh-Biing, 2010. "Dynamic relief-demand management for emergency logistics operations under large-scale disasters," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Rommelfanger, Heinrich, 1996. "Fuzzy linear programming and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 92(3), pages 512-527, August.
- Barbarosoglu, Gulay & Ozdamar, Linet & Cevik, Ahmet, 2002. "An interactive approach for hierarchical analysis of helicopter logistics in disaster relief operations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 118-133, July.
- Sheu, Jiuh-Biing, 2007. "An emergency logistics distribution approach for quick response to urgent relief demand in disasters," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 687-709, November.
- Venkataraman, R. & Brusco, M. J., 1996. "An integrated analysis of nurse staffing and scheduling policies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 57-71, February.
- Ernst, A. T. & Jiang, H. & Krishnamoorthy, M. & Sier, D., 2004. "Staff scheduling and rostering: A review of applications, methods and models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 3-27, February.
- Jotshi, Arun & Gong, Qiang & Batta, Rajan, 2009. "Dispatching and routing of emergency vehicles in disaster mitigation using data fusion," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Altay, Nezih & Green III, Walter G., 2006. "OR/MS research in disaster operations management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 475-493, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:46:y:2012:i:4:p:250-260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.