Using announcement options in the bid construction phase for disaster relief procurement
This paper presents an analysis of the bid construction phase of procurement auctions in disaster relief and humanitarian logistics. Substitution and partial fulfillment options are presented in formulations to allow bidders with fewer inventories to offer substitute item types and partial bids in auctions. During the auction announcement phase, a coordinating platform for disaster locations (i.e., auctioneer) allows substitution and partial fulfillment options to the relief suppliers (i.e., bidders) when acceptable. Thus, suppliers with fewer inventories can offer substitute item types and participate in more auctions by partially bidding. A genetic algorithm, a simulated annealing algorithm and an integer program are used for the analysis of the bid construction phase with different announcement options. Heuristic solution techniques and an IP formulation help understand the dynamics of the bid construction problem. It is shown that the addition of substitution and partial fulfillment options is essential to diversify and increase the usable capacity of the supplier base. Additionally, the partial fulfillment option enables better usage of supplier inventories in an environment with scarce supplies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hazra, Jishnu & Mahadevan, B., 2006. "Impact of supply base heterogeneity in electronic markets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(3), pages 1580-1594, November.
- Song, Jiongjiong & Regan, Amelia, 2005. "Approximation algorithms for the bid construction problem in combinatorial auctions for the procurement of freight transportation contracts," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 914-933, December.
- Johansen, Soren Glud & Thorstenson, Anders, 1998. "An inventory model with Poisson demands and emergency orders," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 275-289, September.
- Yi, Pengfei & George, Santhosh K. & Paul, Jomon Aliyas & Lin, Li, 2010. "Hospital capacity planning for disaster emergency management," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 151-160, September.
- Altay, Nezih & Green III, Walter G., 2006. "OR/MS research in disaster operations management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 475-493, November.
- Clay Whybark, D., 2007. "Issues in managing disaster relief inventories," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1-2), pages 228-235, July.
- Bagchi, Aniruddha & Aliyas Paul, Jomon & Maloni, Michael, 2011. "Improving bid efficiency for humanitarian food aid procurement," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 238-245, November.
- Sheu, Jiuh-Biing, 2007. "An emergency logistics distribution approach for quick response to urgent relief demand in disasters," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 687-709, November.
- Balcik, Burcu & Beamon, Benita M. & Krejci, Caroline C. & Muramatsu, Kyle M. & Ramirez, Magaly, 2010. "Coordination in humanitarian relief chains: Practices, challenges and opportunities," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 22-34, July.
- Oktay Günlük & Lászlo Ladányi & Sven de Vries, 2005. "A Branch-and-Price Algorithm and New Test Problems for Spectrum Auctions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(3), pages 391-406, March.
- Jotshi, Arun & Gong, Qiang & Batta, Rajan, 2009. "Dispatching and routing of emergency vehicles in disaster mitigation using data fusion," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Zaki, Ahmed S. & Cheng, Hsing Kenneth & Parker, Barnett R., 1997. "A Simulation Model for the Analysis and Management of An Emergency Service System," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 173-189, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:46:y:2012:i:4:p:306-314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.