Passenger and pilot risk minimization in offshore helicopter transportation
In the offshore petroleum industry, employees are transported to and from the offshore installations by helicopter, which represents a major risk. This paper analyzes how to improve transportation safety by solving the helicopter routing problem with a risk objective expressed in terms of expected number of fatalities. A mathematical model is proposed and a tabu search heuristic is applied to this problem. Three routing policies are considered: a direct routing policy, a Hamiltonian routing policy, and a general routing policy. Extensive computational experiments are conducted on instances derived from real data in order to assess and compare these policies under a travel time, a passenger risk and a combined passenger and pilot risk objective. Several management insights can be derived from this study. In particular, our results show that passenger transportation risk can be reduced by increasing travel time at the expense of pilot risk. This can be achieved through a reduction of the average number of passengers onboard by applying either a Hamiltonian or a general routing policy. Our methodology can also be used to derive an equitable distribution of risk between passengers and pilots, considering that pilots fly much more frequently than passengers.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marvin B. Mandell, 1991. "Modelling Effectiveness-Equity Trade-Offs in Public Service Delivery Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 467-482, April.
- Gribkovskaia, Irina & Halskau, Oyvind sr. & Laporte, Gilbert & Vlcek, Martin, 2007. "General solutions to the single vehicle routing problem with pickups and deliveries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 180(2), pages 568-584, July.
- Marsh, Michael T. & Schilling, David A., 1994. "Equity measurement in facility location analysis: A review and framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 1-17, April.
- Giannikos, Ioannis, 1998. "A multiobjective programming model for locating treatment sites and routing hazardous wastes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 333-342, January.
- Zografos, Konstantinos G. & Androutsopoulos, Konstantinos N., 2004. "A heuristic algorithm for solving hazardous materials distribution problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 507-519, January.
- Gerard Sierksma & Gert Tijssen, 1998. "Routing helicopters for crew exchanges on off-shore locations," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 76(0), pages 261-286, January.
- Kaiser, Mark J., 2007. "World offshore energy loss statistics," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3496-3525, June.
- Gerardo Berbeglia & Jean-François Cordeau & Irina Gribkovskaia & Gilbert Laporte, 2007. "Rejoinder on: Static pickup and delivery problems: a classification scheme and survey," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 15(1), pages 45-47, July.
- Gerardo Berbeglia & Jean-François Cordeau & Irina Gribkovskaia & Gilbert Laporte, 2007. "Static pickup and delivery problems: a classification scheme and survey," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 15(1), pages 1-31, July.
- Mingers, John, 2011. "Soft OR comes of age--but not everywhere!," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 729-741, December.
- Hoff, Arild & Gribkovskaia, Irina & Laporte, Gilbert & Løkketangen, Arne, 2009. "Lasso solution strategies for the vehicle routing problem with pickups and deliveries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 755-766, February.
- Galvao, Roberto D. & Guimaraes, Jesu, 1990. "The control of helicopter operations in the Brazilian oil industry: Issues in the design and implementation of a computerized system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 266-270, November.
- Rakes, Terry R. & Deane, Jason K. & Paul Rees, Loren, 2012. "IT security planning under uncertainty for high-impact events," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 79-88, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:5:p:584-593. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.