Lasso solution strategies for the vehicle routing problem with pickups and deliveries
This paper considers the vehicle routing problem with pickups and deliveries (VRPPD) where the same customer may require both a delivery and a pickup. This is the case, for instance, of breweries that deliver beer or mineral water bottles to a set of customers and collect empty bottles from the same customers. It is possible to relax the customary practice of performing a pickup when delivering at a customer, and postpone the pickup until the vehicle has sufficient free capacity. In the case of breweries, these solutions will often consist of routes in which bottles are first delivered until the vehicle is partly unloaded, then both pickup and delivery are performed at the remaining customers, and finally empty bottles are picked up from the first visited customers. These customers are revisited in reverse order, thus giving rise to lasso shaped solutions. Another possibility is to relax the traditional problem even more and allow customers to be visited twice either in two different routes or at different times on the same route, giving rise to a general solution. This article develops a tabu search algorithm capable of producing lasso solutions. A general solution can be reached by first duplicating each customer and generating a Hamiltonian solution on the extended set of customers. Test results show that while general solutions outperform other solution shapes in term of cost, their computation can be time consuming. The best lasso solution generated within a given time limit is generally better than the best general solution produced with the same computing effort.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gribkovskaia, Irina & Halskau, Oyvind sr. & Laporte, Gilbert & Vlcek, Martin, 2007. "General solutions to the single vehicle routing problem with pickups and deliveries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 180(2), pages 568-584, July.
- Wasner, Michael & Zapfel, Gunther, 2004. "An integrated multi-depot hub-location vehicle routing model for network planning of parcel service," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 403-419, August.
- Michel Gendreau & Alain Hertz & Gilbert Laporte, 1994. "A Tabu Search Heuristic for the Vehicle Routing Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(10), pages 1276-1290, October.
- Gerardo Berbeglia & Jean-François Cordeau & Irina Gribkovskaia & Gilbert Laporte, 2007. "Static pickup and delivery problems: a classification scheme and survey," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 1-31, July.
- G. Nagy & S. Salhi, 1998. "The many-to-many location-routing problem," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 261-275, December.
- Nagy, Gabor & Salhi, Said, 2005. "Heuristic algorithms for single and multiple depot vehicle routing problems with pickups and deliveries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 126-141, April.
- Mosheiov, Gur, 1994. "The Travelling Salesman Problem with pick-up and delivery," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 299-310, December.
- Gerardo Berbeglia & Jean-François Cordeau & Irina Gribkovskaia & Gilbert Laporte, 2007. "Rejoinder on: Static pickup and delivery problems: a classification scheme and survey," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 45-47, July.
- Arild Hoff & Arne Løkketangen, 2006. "Creating lasso-solutions for the traveling salesman problem with pickup and delivery by Tabu search," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 125-140, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:3:p:755-766. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.