Vehicle routing with multiple deliverymen: Modeling and heuristic approaches for the VRPTW
In real life distribution of goods, relatively long service times may make it difficult to serve all requests during regular working hours. These difficulties are even greater if the beginning of the service in each demand site must occur within a time window and violations of routing time restrictions are particularly undesirable. We address this situation by considering a variant of the vehicle routing problem with time windows for which, besides routing and scheduling decisions, a number of extra deliverymen can be assigned to each route in order to reduce service times. This problem appears, for example, in the distribution of beverage and tobacco in highly dense Brazilian urban areas. We present a mathematical programming formulation for the problem, as well as a tabu search and an ant colony optimization heuristics for obtaining minimum cost routes. The performance of the model and the heuristic approaches are evaluated using instances generated from a set of classic examples from the literature.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoff, Arild & Gribkovskaia, Irina & Laporte, Gilbert & Løkketangen, Arne, 2009. "Lasso solution strategies for the vehicle routing problem with pickups and deliveries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 755-766, February.
- Gerardo Berbeglia & Jean-François Cordeau & Irina Gribkovskaia & Gilbert Laporte, 2007. "Rejoinder on: Static pickup and delivery problems: a classification scheme and survey," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 45-47, July.
- Zhong, Yingjie & Cole, Michael H., 2005. "A vehicle routing problem with backhauls and time windows: a guided local search solution," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 131-144, March.
- Gerardo Berbeglia & Jean-François Cordeau & Irina Gribkovskaia & Gilbert Laporte, 2007. "Static pickup and delivery problems: a classification scheme and survey," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 1-31, July.
- Marc Reimann & Heinz Ulrich, 2006. "Comparing backhauling strategies in vehicle routing using Ant Colony Optimization," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 105-123, June.
- Laporte, Gilbert, 1992. "The vehicle routing problem: An overview of exact and approximate algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 345-358, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:218:y:2012:i:3:p:636-647. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.