The exact fill rate in a periodic review base stock system under normally distributed demand
In this paper, we consider a periodic review order-up-to-level (or base stock) inventory control system under normally distributed demand. For such circumstances, an expression for the exact fill rate (fraction of demand satisfied without backordering) has been available in the literature, but has not been widely known, let alone used by practitioners. In this paper, we redevelop the expression and contrast our derivation with the earlier published one. The paper has two purposes. First, we hope that the reappearance of the exact result in this journal will lead to its wider adoption. Second, showing two contrasting approaches to obtaining the same result may be useful for both research and pedagogical purposes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthew J. Sobel, 2004. "Fill Rates of Single-Stage and Multistage Supply Systems," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 41-52, June.
- de Kok, A. G., 1990. "Hierarchical production planning for consumer goods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Carlson, Marvin L & Miltenburg, G John, 1988. "Using the service point model to control large groups of items," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 481-489.
- Ward, SC & Chapman, CB & Klein, JH, 1991. "Theoretical versus applied models: The newsboy problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 197-206.
- Chen, Fangruo & Zheng, Yu-Sheng, 1993. "Inventory models with general backorder costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 175-186, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:3:p:346-349. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.