The exact fill rate in a periodic review base stock system under normally distributed demand
In this paper, we consider a periodic review order-up-to-level (or base stock) inventory control system under normally distributed demand. For such circumstances, an expression for the exact fill rate (fraction of demand satisfied without backordering) has been available in the literature, but has not been widely known, let alone used by practitioners. In this paper, we redevelop the expression and contrast our derivation with the earlier published one. The paper has two purposes. First, we hope that the reappearance of the exact result in this journal will lead to its wider adoption. Second, showing two contrasting approaches to obtaining the same result may be useful for both research and pedagogical purposes.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description |
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthew J. Sobel, 2004. "Fill Rates of Single-Stage and Multistage Supply Systems," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 41-52, June.
- de Kok, A. G., 1990. "Hierarchical production planning for consumer goods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Chen, Fangruo & Zheng, Yu-Sheng, 1993. "Inventory models with general backorder costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 175-186, March.
- Ward, SC & Chapman, CB & Klein, JH, 1991. "Theoretical versus applied models: The newsboy problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 197-206.
- Carlson, Marvin L & Miltenburg, G John, 1988. "Using the service point model to control large groups of items," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 481-489.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:3:p:346-349. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.