Computing globally optimal (s,S,T) inventory policies
We consider a single-echelon inventory installation under the (s,S,T) periodic review ordering policy. Demand is stationary random and, when unsatisfied, is backordered. Under a standard cost structure, we seek to minimize total average cost in all three policy variables; namely, the reorder level s, the order-up-to level S and the review interval T. Considering time to be continuous, we first model average total cost per unit time in terms of the decision variables. We then show that the problem can be decomposed into two simpler sub-problems; namely, the determination of locally optimal solutions in s and S (for any T) and the determination of the optimal T. We establish simple bounds and properties that allow solving both these sub-problems and propose a procedure that guarantees global optimum determination in all policy variables via finite search. Computational results reveal that the usual practice of not treating the review interval as a decision variable may carry severe cost penalties. Moreover, cost differences between (s,S,T) and other standard periodic review policies, including the simple base stock policy, are rather marginal (or even zero), when all policies are globally optimized. We provide a physical interpretation of this behavior and discuss its practical implications.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- Silver, Edward A. & Bischak, Diane P., 2011. "The exact fill rate in a periodic review base stock system under normally distributed demand," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 346-349, June.
- Tijms, H. C. & Groenevelt, H., 1984. "Simple approximations for the reorder point in periodic and continuous review (s, S) inventory systems with service level constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 175-190, August.
- Donald L. Iglehart, 1963. "Optimality of (s, S) Policies in the Infinite Horizon Dynamic Inventory Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 259-267, January.
- Richard Ehrhardt, 1979. "The Power Approximation for Computing (s, S) Inventory Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(8), pages 777-786, August.
- Lagodimos, A. G., 1993. "Models for evaluating the performance of serial and assembly MRP systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 49-68, July.
- Uday S. Rao, 2003. "Properties of the Periodic Review (R, T) Inventory Control Policy for Stationary, Stochastic Demand," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 37-53, February.
- Arthur F. Veinott, Jr. & Harvey M. Wagner, 1965. "Computing Optimal (s, S) Inventory Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(5), pages 525-552, March.
- Tunc, Huseyin & Kilic, Onur A. & Tarim, S. Armagan & Eksioglu, Burak, 2011. "The cost of using stationary inventory policies when demand is non-stationary," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 410-415, August.
- Ellis L. Johnson, 1968. "On (s, S) Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(1), pages 80-101, September.
- Yu-Sheng Zheng, 1992. "On Properties of Stochastic Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(1), pages 87-103, January.
- Serfozo, Richard & Stidham, Shaler, 1978. "Semi-stationary clearing processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 165-178, January.
- Axsater, Sven & Rosling, Kaj, 1994. "Multi-level production-inventory control: Material requirements planning or reorder point policies?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 405-412, June.
- Harvey M. Wagner & Michael O'Hagan & Bertil Lundh, 1965. "An Empirical Study of Exactly and Approximately Optimal Inventory Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(7), pages 690-723, May.
- Eliezer Naddor, 1975. "Optimal and Heuristic Decisions in Single-and Multi-Item Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(11), pages 1234-1249, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:5:p:660-671. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.