An analytic model for locating facilities strategically
This paper presents a strategic solution to the facility location problem which incorporates both external and internal criteria in the decision-making process. The external components of the model are customers and their wants, competitors, and the characteristics of various locations. The internal components of the model are the critical processes in the manufacturing organization. The framework presented uses quality function deployment (QFD), analytic hierarchy process (AHP) and analytic network process (ANP). QFD matrices with interconnected rows and columns relate market segments, competitive priorities, critical processes, location attributes and various locations. AHP determines the intensity of the relationship between the row and column variables of each matrix. Finally, ANP determines the intensity of synergistic effects among column variables. The model fine-tunes and adds precision to an otherwise qualitative strategic decision process. The applicability of our proposed model is demonstrated with a case study that summarizes an intervention in which the model's framework and basic concepts were applied.
Volume (Year): 34 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Current, John & Min, Hokey & Schilling, David, 1990. "Multiobjective analysis of facility location decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 295-307, December.
- Abbie Griffin & John R. Hauser, 1993.
"The Voice of the Customer,"
INFORMS, vol. 12(1), pages 1-27.
- Griffin, Abbie. & Hauser, John R., 1991. "The voice of the customer," Working papers #56-91. Working paper (Sl, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Schmenner, Roger W. & Huber, Joel C. & Cook, Randall L., 1987. "Geographic differences and the location of new manufacturing facilities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Badri, Masood A., 1999. "Combining the analytic hierarchy process and goal programming for global facility location-allocation problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 237-248, September.
- Avella, P. & Benati, S. & Canovas Martinez, L. & Dalby, K. & Di Girolamo, D. & Dimitrijevic, B. & Ghiani, G. & Giannikos, I. & Guttmann, N. & Hultberg, T. H. & Fliege, J. & Marin, A. & Munoz Marquez, , 1998. "Some personal views on the current state and the future of locational analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 269-287, January.
- Saaty, Thomas L., 1990. "How to make a decision: The analytic hierarchy process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 9-26, September.
- Partovi, Fariborz Y. & Epperly, John M., 1999. "A quality function deployment approach to task organization in peacekeeping force design," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 131-149, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:34:y:2006:i:1:p:41-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.