A refined Jensen's inequality in Hilbert spaces and empirical approximations
Let be a convex mapping and a Hilbert space. In this paper we prove the following refinement of Jensen's inequality: for every A,B such that and B[subset of]A. Expectations of Hilbert-space-valued random elements are defined by means of the Pettis integrals. Our result generalizes a result of [S. Karlin, A. Novikoff, Generalized convex inequalities, Pacific J. Math. 13 (1963) 1251-1279], who derived it for . The inverse implication is also true if P is an absolutely continuous probability measure. A convexity criterion based on the Jensen-type inequalities follows and we study its asymptotic accuracy when the empirical distribution function based on an n-dimensional sample approximates the unknown distribution function. Some statistical applications are addressed, such as nonparametric estimation and testing for convex regression functions or other functionals.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 100 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perlman, Michael D., 1974. "Jensen's inequality for a convex vector-valued function on an infinite-dimensional space," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 52-65, March.
- M. Menéndez & D. Morales & L. Pardo & I. Vajda, 2001. "Minimum Divergence Estimators Based on Grouped Data," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 53(2), pages 277-288, June.
- Menendez, M. & Morales, D. & Pardo, L. & Vajda, I., 1995. "Divergence-Based Estimation and Testing of Statistical Models of Classification," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 329-354, August.
- Melanie Birke & Holger Dette, 2007. "Estimating a Convex Function in Nonparametric Regression," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 34(2), pages 384-404.
- Hall, Peter & Yatchew, Adonis, 2005. "Unified approach to testing functional hypotheses in semiparametric contexts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 225-252, August.
- Rodríguez Poo, Juan M. & Ferreira García, María Eva & Orbe Mandaluniz, Susan, 2001.
"Nonparametric estimation of time varying parameters under shape restrictions,"
2001-02, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Orbe, Susan & Ferreira, Eva & Rodriguez-Poo, Juan, 2005. "Nonparametric estimation of time varying parameters under shape restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 53-77, May.
- Kozek, A. & Suchanecki, Z., 1980. "Multifunctions of faces for conditional expectations of selectors and Jensen's inequality," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 579-598, December.
- Jason Abrevaya & Wei Jiang, 2005. "A Nonparametric Approach to Measuring and Testing Curvature," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 1-19, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:100:y:2009:i:5:p:1044-1060. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.