What has driven Chinese monetary policy since 1990? Investigating the People's bank's policy rule
Post-1990 Chinese monetary policy is modeled with an augmented McCallum-type rule that takes into account the People's Bank of China's emphasis on targeting the rate of money supply growth. People's Bank policy appears responsive to the gap between target and actual nominal GDP as well as to external pressures. Additional cointegration analysis yields estimates of the gap between estimated money demand and actual money supply that appear to track the inflationary trends evident over our sample period. Chinese inflation and monetary policy outcomes seem reasonably captured using a standard monetary approach without the need to appeal to China-specific "structural" factors.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huayu Sun & Yue Ma, 2004. "Money and price relationship in China," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 225-247.
- Stefan Gerlach & Janet Kong, 2005. "Money and Inflation in China," Working Papers 0504, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Zhang, Yin & Wan, Guanghua, 2004. "Output and Price Fluctuations in China's Reform Years: What Role did Money Play?," WIDER Working Paper Series 056, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1993. ""Specification and Analysis of a Monetary Policy Rule for Japan" Reply to Comments by Kunio Okina," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 11(2), pages 55-57, December.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Eswar Prasad, 2009.
"A Framework for Independent Monetary Policy in China,"
Chapters,in: Monetary Policy Frameworks for Emerging Markets, chapter 8
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Eswar Prasad, 2007. "A Framework for Independent Monetary Policy in China," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 53(1), pages 2-41, March.
- Marvin S Goodfriend & Eswar S Prasad, 2006. "A Framework for Independent Monetary Policy in China," IMF Working Papers 06/111, International Monetary Fund.
- Ouyang, Alice Y. & Rajan, Ramkishen S. & Willett, Thomas D., 2010. "China as a reserve sink: The evidence from offset and sterilization coefficients," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 951-972, September.
- Alice Y. Ouyang & Ramkishen S. Rajan & Thomas D. Willett, 2007. "China as a Reserve Sink: The Evidence from Offset and Sterilization Coefficients," Working Papers 102007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1993. "Specification and Analysis of a Monetary Policy Rule for Japan," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 11(2), pages 1-45, December.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1993. "Specification and Analysis of a Monetary Policy Rule for Japan," NBER Working Papers 4449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duo Qin, 2003. "Determinants of household savings in China and their role in quasi-money supply," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(3), pages 513-537, 09.
- Mccallum, Bennet T., 1988. "Robustness properties of a rule for monetary policy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 173-203, January.
- Cargill, Thomas F. & Parker, Elliott, 2004. "Price deflation, money demand, and monetary policy discontinuity: a comparative view of Japan, China, and the United States," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 125-147, March.
- Richard C.K. Burdekin, "undated". "Ending Inflation in the People's Republic of China: From Chairman Mao to the 21st Century," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2000-08, Claremont Colleges.
- Joerg Scheibe & David Vines, 2005. "A Phillips Curve For China," CAMA Working Papers 2005-02, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Chen, Baizhu, 1997. "Long-Run Money Demand and Inflation in China," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 609-617, July.
- Dong He & Carmen Chu & Chang Shu & Amy Wong, 2005. "Monetary Management in Mainland China in the Face of Large Capital Inflows," Working Papers 0507, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Siklos, Pierre L, 1993. "Income Velocity and Institutional Change: Some New Time Series Evidence, 1870-1986," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 377-392, August.
- Siklos, P.L., 1991. "Income Velocity and Institutional Change: Some New Time Series Evidence, 1870-1986," Working Papers 91150, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- Claustre Bajona & Tianshu Chu, 2004. "China's WTO Accession and Its Effect on State-Owned Enterprises," Economics Study Area Working Papers 70, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2003. "Japanese monetary policy, 1991-2001," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 1-31. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:27:y:2008:i:5:p:847-859. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.