Monitoring technology and firm boundaries: Physician-hospital integration and technology utilization
We study the relationship between physician-hospital integration and its relation to monitoring IT utilization. We develop a theoretical model in which monitoring IT may complement or substitute for integration and test these relationships using a novel data source. Physician labor market heterogeneity identifies the empirical model. We find that monitoring IT utilization is increasing in integration, implying that expanded firm boundaries complement monitoring IT adoption. We argue that the relationship between monitoring IT and firm boundaries depends upon the contractibility of the monitored information.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George P. Baker & Thomas N. Hubbard, 2003. "Make Versus Buy in Trucking: Asset Ownership, Job Design, and Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 551-572, June.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Manuel Trajtenberg, 1992.
"General Purpose Technologies "Engines of Growth?","
NBER Working Papers
4148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ron Borzekowski, 2002. "Health care finance and the early adoption of hospital information systems," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-41, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gaynor, Martin, 2006. "Is vertical integration anticompetitive?: Definitely maybe (but that's not final)," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 175-180, January.
- Martin Gaynor & Paul Gertler, 1995.
"Moral Hazard and Risk Spreading in Partnerships,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(4), pages 591-613, Winter.
- Jeffrey S. McCullough, 2008. "The adoption of hospital information systems," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 649-664.
- Sanford J Grossman & Oliver D Hart, 2001.
"An Analysis of the Principal-Agent Problem,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
391749000000000339, David K. Levine.
- Sanford Grossman & Oliver Hart, . "An Analysis of the Principal-Agent Problem," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 15-80, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Javitt, Jonathan C. & Rebitzer, James B. & Reisman, Lonny, 2008.
"Information technology and medical missteps: Evidence from a randomized trial,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 585-602, May.
- Jonathan C. Javitt & James B. Rebitzer & Lonny Reisman, 2007. "Information Technology and Medical Missteps: Evidence from a Randomized Trial," NBER Working Papers 13493, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cuellar, Alison Evans & Gertler, Paul J., 2006. "Strategic integration of hospitals and physicians," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Laurence C. Baker & Ciaran S. Phibbs, 2002. "Managed Care, Technology Adoption, and Health Care: The Adoption of Neonatal Intensive Care," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(3), pages 524-548, Autumn.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Baker, Laurence C., 2001. "Managed care and technology adoption in health care: evidence from magnetic resonance imaging," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 395-421, May.
- Erik J. Brynjolfsson & Thomas Malone & Vijay Gurbaxani & Ajit Kambil, 1991.
"Does Information Technology Lead to Smaller Firms?,"
Working Paper Series
123, MIT Center for Coordination Science.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Thomas W. Malone & Vijay Gurbaxani & Ajit Kambil, 1994. "Does Information Technology Lead to Smaller Firms?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(12), pages 1628-1644, December.
- Thomas N. Hubbard, 2000. "The Demand For Monitoring Technologies: The Case Of Trucking," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(2), pages 533-560, May.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2002. "Information Technology, Workplace Organization, And The Demand For Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 339-376, February.
- Federico Ciliberto, 2006. "DOES ORGANIZATIONAL FORM AFFECT INVESTMENT DECISIONS? -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 63-93, 03.
- Kenneth Bollen & David Guilkey & Thomas Mroz, 1995. "Binary outcomes and endogenous explanatory variables: Tests and solutions with an application to the demand for contraceptive use in tunisia," Demography, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 111-131, February.
- James J. Heckman, 1977.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
NBER Working Papers
0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1978. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2000. "Beyond Computation: Information Technology, Organizational Transformation and Business Performance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 23-48, Fall.
- Ciliberto, Federico & Dranove, David, 2006. "The effect of physician-hospital affiliations on hospital prices in California," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 29-38, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhecon:v:29:y:2010:i:3:p:457-467. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.