Contractual arrangements and enforcement in transition agriculture: Theory and evidence from China
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1999.
"Interfirm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1285-1320.
- McMillan, John & Woodruff, Christopher, 1998. "Inter-Firm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam," CEPR Discussion Papers 2036, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1998. "Interfirm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 132, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Bart Minten, 2001. "Social Capital and Agricultural Trade," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 680-685.
- Peter Bogetoft & Henrik Ballebye Olesen, 2002. "Ten rules of thumb in contract design: lessons from Danish agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(2), pages 185-204, June.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Simon Johnson & John McMillan, 2002. "Courts and Relational Contracts," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 221-277, April.
- Woodruff, Christopher, 1998. "Contract enforcement and trade liberalization in Mexico's footwear industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 979-991, June.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-261, October.
- Gow, Hamish R. & Streeter, Deborah H. & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2000. "How private contract enforcement mechanisms can succeed where public institutions fail: the case of Juhocukor a.s," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 253-265, September.
- Tao, Zhigang & Zhu, Tian, 2001. "An agency theory of transactions without contract enforcement: The case of China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-14.
- Telser, L G, 1980. "A Theory of Self-enforcing Agreements," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 27-44, January.
- Hamish R. Gow & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2001. "Private Enforcement Capital and Contract Enforcement in Transition Economies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 686-690.
- Klein, Benjamin, 1996. "Why Hold-Ups Occur: The Self-Enforcing Range of Contractual Relationships," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(3), pages 444-463, July.
- Lyons, Bruce R, 1996. "Empirical Relevance of Efficient Contract Theory: Inter-firm Contracts," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 27-52, Winter.
- William M. Dugger, 1996. "The Mechanisms of Governance," Journal of Economic Issues, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(4), pages 1212-1216, December.
- Hongdong Guo & Robert W Jolly & Jianhua Zhu, 2007. "Contract Farming in China: Perspectives of Farm Households and Agribusiness Firms," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 49(2), pages 285-312, June.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288817.
- Beckmann, Volker & Boger, Silke, 2004.
"Courts and contract enforcement in transition agriculture: theory and evidence from Poland,"
Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 251-263, December.
- Beckmann, Volker & Boger, Silke, 2003. "Courts And Contract Enforcement In Transition Agriculture: Theory And Evidence From Poland," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25878, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Klein, Benjamin & Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "The Role of Market Forces in Assuring Contractual Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 615-641, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Julie Wilk & Mattias Hjerpe & Wei Yang & Hua Fan, 2015. "Farm-scale adaptation under extreme climate and rapid economic transition," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 393-407, June.
- Schipmann, Christin & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Supply chain differentiation, contract agriculture, and farmers’ marketing preferences: The case of sweet pepper in Thailand," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 667-677.
- Li, X. & Guo, H. & Li, L., 2018. "Do Product Attributes affect Farmer's Contract Farming Participation? Evidence from Vegetable Production in China," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 277154, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Schipmann, Christin & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Supply chain differentiation, contract agriculture, and farmers’ marketing preferences: the case of sweet pepper in Thailand," GlobalFood Discussion Papers 108349, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Hou, Jing & Chen, Feiyu, 2020. "Private Enforcement Mechanisms and Contract Stability in Agri-food Supply Chain: An Empirical Evidence from China," 2020 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, Kansas City, Missouri 304586, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lin Li & Hongdong Guo & Jos Bijman & Nico Heerink, 2018. "The influence of uncertainty on the choice of business relationships: The case of vegetable farmers in China," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 34(3), pages 597-615, June.
- Benmehaia, Amine Mohamed & Brabez, Fatima & Benharrath, Oualid, 2017. "Production Contract Performance In Tomato Processing Industry: Analysis Of Algerian Case," International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics (IJFAEC), Alanya Alaaddin Keykubat University, Department of Economics and Finance, vol. 5(2), April.
- Kumar, Shiv & Chandra, Subhash & Singh, D.R. & Chaudhary, Khyali R., 2013. "Contractual Arrangements and Enforcement in India: The Case of Organic Basmati Paddy Farming," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 68(3), pages 1-8.
- Isaac Maina Kariuki & Jens‐Peter Loy, 2016. "Contractual Farming Arrangements, Quality Control, Incentives, and Distribution Failure in Kenya's Smallholder Horticulture: A Multivariate Probit Analysis," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(4), pages 547-562, November.
- Adu-Gyamfi Poku & Regina Birner & Saurabh Gupta, 2018. "Making Contract Farming Arrangements Work in Africa’s Bioeconomy: Evidence from Cassava Outgrower Schemes in Ghana," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 10(5), pages 1-21, May.
- Jing Hou & Bo Hou, 2019. "Farmers’ Adoption of Low-Carbon Agriculture in China: An Extended Theory of the Planned Behavior Model," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(5), pages 1-20, March.
- Wanglin Ma & Awudu Abdulai, 2016.
"Linking apple farmers to markets: Determinants and impacts of marketing contracts in China,"
China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(1), pages 2-21, February.
- Ma, Wanglin & Abdulai, Awudu, 2015. "Linking apple farmers to markets: Determinants and impacts of marketing contracts in China," 2015 AAEA & WAEA Joint Annual Meeting, July 26-28, San Francisco, California 202719, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Liu, H. & Deng, H. & Xu, Z. & Lu, W., 2018. "Emerging Agricultural Cooperatives and The Structural Change of Crop Production in China," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 277324, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Liu, Y., 2018. "Determinants and impacts of marketing channel choice among cooperatives members: Evidence from agricultural cooperative in China," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 275898, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hoken, Hisatoshi, 2016. "Participation in farmer's cooperatives and its effects on agricultural incomes : evidence from vegetable-producing areas in China," IDE Discussion Papers 578, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Li, Xiaokang & Guo, Hongdong & Li, Lin, 2016. "Contract Farming in China: Perspectives of Smallholders in Vegetable Production," 2016 Annual Meeting, July 31-August 2, Boston, Massachusetts 235573, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bellemare, Marc F. & Bloem, Jeffrey R., 2018. "Does contract farming improve welfare? A review," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 112(C), pages 259-271.
- Fertő, Imre & Elek, Sándor & Bakucs, Lajos Zoltán & Forgács, Csaba, 2012. "A szerződések teljesülése a magyar élelmiszerláncban [Contract fulfilments in Hungarian food chains]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(1), pages 63-73.
- Lin Li & Hongdong Guo, 2019. "The impact of business relationships on safe production behavior by farmers: Evidence from China," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 35(1), pages 84-96, January.
- González-Moralejo, Silvia Andrés & Muñoz, Pablo Muñoz & Miquel, Juan Francisco López, 2015. "Firm Size, Contractual Problems and Organizational Decision-Making: Logistics for Perishable Goods," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association, vol. 18(4), pages 1-16, November.
More about this item
KeywordsContract enforcement Transition agriculture China;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:33:y:2008:i:6:p:570-575. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.