Fruits and vegetables availability for human consumption in Latin American and Caribbean countries: Patterns and determinants
Inadequate intake of fruits and vegetables (F&V) is one of the leading causes of chronic diseases in the world. This study examined the patterns and determinants of F&V availability for human consumption in Latin American and Caribbean countries between 1991 and 2002. The results showed that there were considerable disparities between and within countries and only one-third of the sampled countries (if only 20% wastage is assumed) could achieve the World Health Organization's recommendation of 146 kg of F&V intake/capita/year. The elasticities estimated from a fixed effect regression also showed that income, urbanization, price, and poverty were some of the important factors that affect the long-term availability of F&V.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haddad, Lawrence James, 2003.
"What can food policy do to redirect the diet transition?,"
165, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Haddad, Lawrence James, 2003. "What can food policy do to redirect the diet transition?," FCND discussion papers 165, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Popkin, Barry M., 1999. "Urbanization, Lifestyle Changes and the Nutrition Transition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 1905-1916, November.
- James L. Seale & Anita Regmi, 2006. "Modeling International Consumption Patterns," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(4), pages 603-624, December.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Atwood, David A., 1991. "Aggregate food supply and famine early warning," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 245-251, June.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Radwan A. Shaban & Dina Abu-Ghaida & Abdel-Salam Al-Naimat, 2001. "Poverty Alleviation in Jordan : Lessons for the Future," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13906, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:33:y:2008:i:5:p:444-454. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.