On the existence of pure-strategy equilibria in large games
Over the years, several formalizations and existence results for games with a continuum of players have been given. These include those of Schmeidler [D. Schmeidler, Equilibrium points of nonatomic games, J. Stat. Phys. 4 (1973) 295-300], Rashid [S. Rashid, Equilibrium points of non-atomic games: Asymptotic results, Econ. Letters 12 (1983) 7-10], Mas-Colell [A. Mas-Colell, On a theorem by Schmeidler, J. Math. Econ. 13 (1984) 201-206], Khan and Sun [M. Khan, Y. Sun, Non-cooperative games on hyperfinite Loeb spaces, J. Math. Econ. 31 (1999) 455-492] and Podczeck [K. Podczeck, On purification of measure-valued maps, Econ. Theory 38 (2009) 399-418]. The level of generality of each of these existence results is typically regarded as a criterion to evaluate how appropriate is the corresponding formalization of large games. In contrast, we argue that such evaluation is pointless. In fact, we show that, in a precise sense, all the above existence results are equivalent. Thus, all of them are equally strong and therefore cannot rank the different formalizations of large games.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Starr, Ross M, 1969. "Quasi-Equilibria in Markets with Non-Convex Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(1), pages 25-38, January.
- Myrna Wooders & Edward Cartwright & Reinhard Selten, 2005.
"Behavioral Conformity in Games with Many Players,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0513, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Podczeck, Konrad, 2008. "On the convexity and compactness of the integral of a Banach space valued correspondence," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 836-852, July.
- M Ali Khan & Kali P Rath & Yeneng Sun, 1994.
"On the Existence of Pure Strategy Equilibria in Games with a Continuum of Players,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
381, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics, revised Feb 1997.
- Khan, M. Ali & Rath, Kali P. & Sun, Yeneng, 1997. "On the Existence of Pure Strategy Equilibria in Games with a Continuum of Players," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 13-46, September.
- Rashid, Salim, 1983. "Equilibrium points of non-atomic games : Asymptotic results," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 7-10.
- Carmona, Guilherme, 2003.
"On the Purification of Nash Equilibria of Large Games,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp436, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Carmona, Guilherme, 2004. "On the purification of Nash equilibria of large games," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 215-219, November.
- Guilherme Carmona, 2003. "On the Purification of Nash Equilibria of Large Games," Game Theory and Information 0311007, EconWPA.
- Balder, Erik J., 2002. "A Unifying Pair of Cournot-Nash Equilibrium Existence Results," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 437-470, February.
- Ehud Kalai, 2002.
"Large Robust Games,"
1350, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Khan, M. Ali & Yeneng, Sun, 1995. "Pure strategies in games with private information," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 633-653.
- Khan, M. Ali & Sun, Yeneng, 1999. "Non-cooperative games on hyperfinite Loeb spaces1," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 455-492, May.
- Carmona, Guilherme, 2008. "Large games with countable characteristics," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3-4), pages 344-347, February.
- Carmona, Guilherme, 2004.
"Nash Equilibria of Games with a Continuum of Players,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp466, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Guilherme Carmona, 2004. "Nash Equilibria of Games with a Continuum of Players," Game Theory and Information 0412009, EconWPA.
- Konrad Podczeck, 2009. "On purification of measure-valued maps," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 399-418, February.
- Al-Najjar, Nabil I., 2008. "Large games and the law of large numbers," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 1-34, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:144:y:2009:i:3:p:1300-1319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.