A Simple Selling and Buying Procedure
For the assignment game, we analyze the following mechanism: sellers, simultaneously, fix their prices first; then buyers, sequentially, decide which object to buy, if any, among the remaining objects. The first phase of the game determines the potential prices, while the second phase determines the actual matching. We prove that the set of subgame perfect equilibria in pure strategies in the strong sense of the mechanism coincides with the set of sellers' optimal stable outcomes when buyers use maximal strategies. That is, the mechanism leads to the maximum equilibrium prices and to an optimal matching.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roth, Alvin E., 1984. "Misrepresentation and stability in the marriage problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 383-387, December.
- Romero-Medina, Antonio & Alcalde, J., 1999.
"Simple mechanisms to implement the core of college admissions problems,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
6124, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Alcalde, Jose & Romero-Medina, Antonio, 2000. "Simple Mechanisms to Implement the Core of College Admissions Problems," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 294-302, May.
- José Alcalde Pérez & Antonio Romero-Medina, 1996. "Simple mechanisms to implement the core of college admissions problems," Working Papers. Serie AD 1996-13, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- José Alcalde, 1995.
"Implementation of Stable Solutions to Marriage Problems,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1995-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Alcalde, Jose, 1996. "Implementation of Stable Solutions to Marriage Problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 240-254, April.
- Alcalde, Jose & Perez-Castrillo, David & Romero-Medina, Antonio, 1998.
"Hiring Procedures to Implement Stable Allocations,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 469-480, October.
- Kelso, Alexander S, Jr & Crawford, Vincent P, 1982. "Job Matching, Coalition Formation, and Gross Substitutes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1483-1504, November.
- Serrano Roberto, 1995. "A Market to Implement the Core," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 285-294, October.
- Perry, M. & Rany, P., 1992.
"A Non-Cooperative View of Coalition Formation and the Core,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9203, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Perry, Motty & Reny, Philip J, 1994. "A Noncooperative View of Coalition Formation and the Core," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 795-817, July.
- Perez-Castrillo J. David, 1994.
"Cooperative Outcomes through Noncooperative Games,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 428-440, November.
- Peraz-Castrillo, J., 1992. "Cooperative Outcomes Through Non-Cooperative Games," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 165.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Gabrielle Demange & Gale David & Marilda Sotomayor, 1986.
- Crawford, Vincent P & Knoer, Elsie Marie, 1981. "Job Matching with Heterogeneous Firms and Workers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 437-50, March.
- Demange, Gabrielle & Gale, David, 1985.
"The Strategy Structure of Two-sided Matching Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(4), pages 873-88, July.
- Gabrielle Demange & David Gale, 1985. "The Strategy Structure of Two Sided Matching Markets," Post-Print halshs-00670994, HAL.
- Kamecke, U, 1989. "Non-cooperative Matching Games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 18(4), pages 423-31.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:103:y:2002:i:2:p:461-474. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.