When additional resource stocks reduce welfare
In the dominant firm model, we show that an increase of the fringe's reserves of a nonrenewable resource may lead to a decrease in aggregate discounted social welfare. This happens when the difference between the fringe's extraction cost and the dominant firm's is positive and large enough. We also show that welfare might decrease if the fringe's marginal extraction cost decreases.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1981. "Potential Competition May Reduce Welfare," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 184-89, May.
- Gérard Gaudet & Pierre Lasserre, 2008.
"The Efficient Use of Multiple Sources of a Nonrenewable Resource Under Supply Cost Uncertainty,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Gérard Gaudet & Pierre Lasserre, 2011. "The Efficient Use Of Multiple Sources Of A Nonrenewable Resource Under Supply Cost Uncertainty," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 52(1), pages 245-258, 02.
- GAUDET, Gérard & LASSERRE, Pierre, 2008. "The Efficient Use of Multiple Sources of a Nonrenewable Resource under Supply Cost Uncertainty," Cahiers de recherche 04-2008, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- GAUDET, Gérard & LASSERRE, Pierre, 2008. "The Efficient Use of Multiple Sources of a Nonrenewable Resource under Supply Cost Uncertainty," Cahiers de recherche 2008-04, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- BENCHEKROUN, Hassan & HALSEMA, Alex & WITHAGEN, Cees, 2008.
"On Nonrenewable Resource Oligopolies : The Asymmetric Case,"
Cahiers de recherche
13-2008, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Halsema, Alex & Withagen, Cees, 2009. "On nonrenewable resource oligopolies: The asymmetric case," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1867-1879, November.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Moreaux, Michel & Tidball, Mabel, 2006.
"Ordering the Extraction of Polluting Nonrenewable Resources,"
IDEI Working Papers
415, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Michel Moreaux & Mabel Tidball, 2008. "Ordering the Extraction of Polluting Nonrenewable Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 1128-44, June.
- CHAKRAVORTY Ujjayant & MOREAUX Michel & TIDBALL Mabel, 2006. "Ordering the Extraction of Polluting Nonrenewable Resources," LERNA Working Papers 06.19.212, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Groot, Fons & Withagen, Cees & de Zeeuw, Aart, 2003.
"Strong time-consistency in the cartel-versus-fringe model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 287-306, November.
- Groot, A.M. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 1996. "Strong Time-Consistency in the Cartel-versus-Fringe Model," Discussion Paper 1996-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Groot, F. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 2003. "Strong time-consistency in the cartel-versus-fringe model," Other publications TiSEM 5ba46a2e-d763-4a8c-939b-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Salant, Stephen W, 1976. "Exhaustible Resources and Industrial Structure: A Nash-Cournot Approach to the World Oil Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 1079-93, October.
- Gilbert, Richard J. & Goldman, Steven M., 1978. "Potential competition and the monopoly price of an exhaustible resource," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 319-331, April.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Krulce, Darrell L, 1994. "Heterogeneous Demand and Order of Resource Extraction," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1445-52, November.
- Kemp, Murray C & Long, Ngo Van, 1980. "On Two Folk Theorems Concerning the Extraction of Exhaustible Resources," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 663-73, April.
- Charles F. Manson & Stephen Polasky, 1993.
"Entry Deterrence In The Commons,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
209, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jeeman:v:59:y:2010:i:1:p:109-114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.