Is the Leading Role Desirable?: A Simulation Analysis of the Stackelberg Behavior in World Petroleum Market
This article explores extraction profiles in the Stackelberg equilibrium of exhaustible resource industry. Calibrated with real data of world petroleum market, the Stackelberg and Cournot–Nash equilibriums are solved numerically. The properties of the Stackelberg equilibrium are compared and contrasted with the benchmark open-loop Cournot–Nash equilibrium. Simulation results indicate that the leader’s gains are limited in the Stackelberg strategic setting. Methodologically, this article pioneers solving the Stackelberg game numerically in a dynamic and empirical model. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 42 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/10614/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Polasky, Stephen, 1992. "Do oil producers act as 'Oil'igopolists?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 216-247, November.
- Lewis, Tracy R. & Schmalensee, Richard., 1979.
"On oligopolistic markets for nonrenewable natural resources,"
1052-79., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Tracy R. Lewis & Richard Schmalensee, 1980. "On Oligopolistic Markets for Nonrenewable Natural Resources," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 95(3), pages 475-491.
- Newbery, David M G, 1981. "Oil Prices, Cartels, and the Problem of Dynamic Inconsistency," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(363), pages 617-646, September.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1978. "Gains to Producers from the Cartelization of Exhaustible Resources," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 238-251, May.
- Salant, Stephen W, 1976. "Exhaustible Resources and Industrial Structure: A Nash-Cournot Approach to the World Oil Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 1079-1093, October.
- A. M. Ulph & G. M. Folie, 1980. "Exhaustible Resources and Cartels: An Intertemporal Nash-Cournot Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(4), pages 645-658, November.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Halsema, Alex & Withagen, Cees, 2009.
"On nonrenewable resource oligopolies: The asymmetric case,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1867-1879, November.
- BENCHEKROUN, Hassan & HALSEMA, Alex & WITHAGEN, Cees, 2008. "On Nonrenewable Resource Oligopolies : The Asymmetric Case," Cahiers de recherche 13-2008, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Groot, A.M. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 1996.
"Strong Time-Consistency in the Cartel-versus-Fringe Model,"
1996-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Groot, Fons & Withagen, Cees & de Zeeuw, Aart, 2003. "Strong time-consistency in the cartel-versus-fringe model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 287-306, November.
- Groot, F. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 2003. "Strong time-consistency in the cartel-versus-fringe model," Other publications TiSEM 5ba46a2e-d763-4a8c-939b-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bernhard von Stengel, 2010.
"Follower payoffs in symmetric duopoly games,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
27651, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990.
"Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988. "Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria," Papers 88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Groot, Fons & Withagen, Cees & de Zeeuw, Aart, 2000.
"Open-loop von Stackelberg equilibrium in the cartel-vs.-fringe model,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 209-223, April.
- Groot, F. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 2000. "Open-loop von Stackelberg equilibrium in the cartel-vs.-fringe model," Other publications TiSEM dfbd8251-6ed5-4895-9cc5-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Van Der Ploeg, F., 1987. "Inefficiency of credible strategies in oligopolistic resource markets with uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 123-145, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:42:y:2013:i:1:p:133-150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.