On oligopolistic markets for nonrenewable natural resources
Noncooperative oligopoly behavior in nonrenewable resource markets is analyzed under stationary conditions assuming perfect information. The existence of Cournot-Nash equilibria in output paths is established under standard cost and demand assumptions, and a number of comparative dynamic results are obtained. If all suppliers have the same costs, for instance, and total reserves are fixed, either increasing the number of suppliers or equalizing their reserve holdings causes more rapid resource use. If suppliers' costs differ, it is shown that equilibrium involves inefficient production; high-cost reserves may even be exhausted before low-cost reserves.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||1979|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (MIT), SLOAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, 50 MEMORIAL DRIVE CAMBRIDGE MASSACHUSETTS 02142 USA|
Web page: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (MIT), SLOAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, 50 MEMORIAL DRIVE CAMBRIDGE MASSACHUSETTS 02142 USA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "Monopoly and the Rate of Extraction of Exhaustible Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 655-661, September.
- Glenn C. Loury, 1978.
"The Optimal Exploitation of an Unknown Reserve,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 45(3), pages 621-636.
- Glenn C. Loury, 1977. "The Optimal Exploitation of an Unknown Reserve," Discussion Papers 255, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Milton C. Weinstein & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1975. "The Optimal Consumption of Depletable Natural Resources," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 89(3), pages 371-392.
- Salant, Stephen W, 1976. "Exhaustible Resources and Industrial Structure: A Nash-Cournot Approach to the World Oil Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 1079-1093, October.
- Solow, Robert M, 1974. "The Economics of Resources or the Resources of Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(2), pages 1-14, May.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1977. "Cartel Pricing and the Structure of the World Bauxite Market," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 343-360, Autumn.
- James L. Sweeney, 1977. "Economics of Depletable Resources: Market Forces and Intertemporal Bias," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(1), pages 125-141.
- Rader, Trout, 1972. "Theory of Microeconomics," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780125750509.
- Roberts, John & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1976. "On the existence of Cournot equilbrium without concave profit functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 112-117, August.
- ROBERTS, John, "undated". "On the existence of Cournot equilibrium without concave profit functions," CORE Discussion Papers RP 260, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Koji Okuguchi, 1973. "Quasi-Competitiveness and Cournot Oligopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 145-148. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mit:sloanp:1952. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.