Adjusting for risk in comparing the performances of male- and female-controlled SMEs
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Du Rietz, Anita & Henrekson, Magnus, 2000. "Testing the Female Underperformance Hypothesis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 1-10, February.
- Carter, Nancy M. & Williams, Mary & Reynolds, Paul D., 1997. "Discontinuance among new firms in retail: The influence of initial resources, strategy, and gender," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 125-145, March.
- Rosa, Peter & Carter, Sara & Hamilton, Daphne, 1996. "Gender as a Determinant of Small Business Performance: Insights from a British Study," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(6), pages 463-478, December.
- Forlani, David & Mullins, John W., 2000. "Perceived risks and choices in entrepreneurs' new venture decisions," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 305-322, July.
- Anna, Alexandra L. & Chandler, Gaylen N. & Jansen, Erik & Mero, Neal P., 2000. "Women business owners in traditional and non-traditional industries," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 279-303, May.
- Jianakoplos, Nancy Ammon & Bernasek, Alexandra, 1998. "Are Women More Risk Averse?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(4), pages 620-630, October.
- Fischer, Eileen M. & Reuber, A. Rebecca & Dyke, Lorraine S., 1993. "A theoretical overview and extension of research on sex, gender, and entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 151-168, March.
- Ballantine, John W & Cleveland, Frederick W & Koeller, C Timothy, 1993. "Profitability, Uncertainty, and Firm Size," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 87-100, June.
- Murphy, Gregory B. & Trailer, Jeff W. & Hill, Robert C., 1996. "Measuring performance in entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 15-23, May.
- Brad M. Barber & Terrance Odean, 2001. "Boys will be Boys: Gender, Overconfidence, and Common Stock Investment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 116(1), pages 261-292.
- chell Elizabeth & susan baines, 1998. "Does gender affect business ‘performance’? A study of microbusinesses in business services in the UK," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 117-135, January.
- Cooper, Arnold C. & Gimeno-Gascon, F. Javier & Woo, Carolyn Y., 1994. "Initial human and financial capital as predictors of new venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 371-395, September.
- Cooper, Arnold C., 1993. "Challenges in predicting new firm performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 241-253, May.
- Sexton, Donald L. & Bowman-Upton, Nancy, 1990. "Female and male entrepreneurs: Psychological characteristics and their role in gender-related discrimination," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 29-36, January.
- BodenJR., Richard J. & Nucci, Alfred R., 2000. "On the survival prospects of men's and women's new business ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 347-362, July.
- Shepherd, Dean A. & Douglas, Evan J. & Shanley, Mark, 2000. "New venture survival: Ignorance, external shocks, and risk reduction strategies," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 393-410.
- Powell, Melanie & Ansic, David, 1997. "Gender differences in risk behaviour in financial decision-making: An experimental analysis," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 605-628, November.
- Cliff, Jennifer E., 1998. "Does one size fit all? exploring the relationship between attitudes towards growth, gender, and business size," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 523-542, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- André van Stel & Ingrid Verheul, 2007.
"Entrepreneurial diversity and economic growth,"
Scales Research Reports
H200701, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Verheul, I. & van Stel, A.J., 2007. "Entrepreneurial Diversity and Economic Growth," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2007-070-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Wu, Huiling & Chen, Hua, 2015. "Nash equilibrium strategy for a multi-period mean–variance portfolio selection problem with regime switching," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 79-90.
- S. Brana, 2013.
"Microcredit: an answer to the gender problem in funding?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Sophie Brana, 2008. "Microcredit: an answer to the gender problem in funding?," Working Papers hal-00740098, HAL.
- Sophie Brana, 2010. "Microcredit: an answer to the gender problem in funding?," Larefi Working Papers 1008, Larefi, Université Bordeaux 4.
- repec:wsi:jdexxx:v:22:y:2017:i:01:n:s1084946717500029 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mercedes Alda, 2016. "Manager Characteristics and Manager-Replacement: How Is Pension Fund Performance Affected?," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 66(2), pages 161-180, April.
- Danes, Sharon M. & Stafford, Kathryn & Loy, Johnben Teik-Cheok, 2007. "Family business performance: The effects of gender and management," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(10), pages 1058-1069, October.
- Celestine Katongole & John C. Munene & Muhammed Ngoma & Samuel Dawa & Arthur Sserwanga, 2015. "Entrepreneur’s Intrapersonal Resources and Enterprise Success among Micro and Small Scale Women Entrepreneurs," Journal of Enterprising Culture (JEC), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 23(04), pages 405-447, December.
- Desislava I. Yordanova, 2008. "Gender Effects on Performance in Bulgarian Private Enterprises," Working Papers 0806, Departament Empresa, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, revised Oct 2008.
- Alonso-Almeida, María del Mar, 2013. "Influence of gender and financing on tourist company growth," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(5), pages 621-631.
- repec:eee:ecofin:v:42:y:2017:i:c:p:654-667 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frances Ruane & Julie Sutherland, 2007. "Firm performance characteristics and gender ownership in a Globalised Economy," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp200, IIIS.
- Terrence Kairiza & Philemon Kiprono & Vengesai Magadzire, 2017. "Gender differences in financial inclusion amongst entrepreneurs in Zimbabwe," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 259-272, January.
- Dongxu Wu & Zhongmin Wu, 2015. "Intergenerational links, gender differences, and determinants of self-employment," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 42(3), pages 400-414, August.
- Wauters, Erwin & De Cock, Lieve & Wit, Jan de & Lauwers, Ludwig H., 2011. "The foregone risk premium: a communicative and practical method for the evaluation of risk-return profiles in agriculture," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 115737, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Parker, Simon C., 2013. "Do serial entrepreneurs run successively better-performing businesses?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 652-666.
- Tansel Yilmazer & Holly Schrank, 2010. "The Use of Owner Resources in Small and Family Owned Businesses: Literature Review and Future Research Directions," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 399-413, December.
- Leszczyński Dariusz, 2016. "Exploration of Key Success Factors that Influence Business Performance: The Experiences of Women Micro-entrepreneurs from Mazovia Voivodeship of Poland," International Journal of Management and Economics, De Gruyter Open, vol. 51(1), pages 63-89, September.
- John Watson, 2005. "External funding and firm growth: Comparing female- and male-controlled SMEs," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 33-49, October.
- Sara Poggesi & Michela Mari & Luisa Vita, 2016. "What’s new in female entrepreneurship research? Answers from the literature," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 735-764, September.
- Francesca Maria Cesaroni & Francesca Lotti & Paolo Emilio Mistrulli, 2013. "Female firms and banksï¿½ lending behaviour: what happened during the great recession?," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 177, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Emma García-Meca, 2016. "Political connections, gender diversity and compensation policy," Review of Managerial Science, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 553-576, July.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbvent:v:18:y:2003:i:6:p:773-788. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusvent .