Dynamic capabilities and firm performance in a financial crisis
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Geoffrey M. Hodgson, 1998. "Evolutionary and competence-based theories of the firm," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 25-56, January.
- Tommy Clausen & Mikko Pohjola & Koson Sapprasert & Bart Verspagen, 2012.
"Innovation strategies as a source of persistent innovation,"
Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(3), pages 553-585, June.
- Tommy Clausen & Mikko Pohjola & Koson Sapprasert & Bart Verspagen, 2010. "Innovation strategies as a source of persistent innovation," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20100617, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Crepon, B. & Duguet, E. & Mairesse, J., 1998. "Research Investment, Innovation and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 98.15, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- David J. TEECE, 2008.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
World Scientific Book Chapters, in: The Transfer And Licensing Of Know-How And Intellectual Property Understanding the Multinational Enterprise in the Modern World, chapter 5, pages 67-87,
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Teece, David J., 1993. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- David J. Teece, 2003. "Profiting from Technological Innovation: Implications for Integration, Collaboration, Licensing and Public Policy," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Essays In Technology Management And Policy Selected Papers of David J Teece, chapter 2, pages 11-46, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Ulrich Lichtenthaler & Eckhard Lichtenthaler, 2009. "A Capability‐Based Framework for Open Innovation: Complementing Absorptive Capacity," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(8), pages 1315-1338, December.
- Subramanian, A. & Nilakanta, S., 1996. "Organizational innovativeness: Exploring the relationship between organizational determinants of innovation, types of innovations, and measures of organizational performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 631-647, December.
- Sidney G. Winter, 2006. "Toward a neo-Schumpeterian theory of the firm," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 125-141, February.
- Jan Fagerberg, 2003.
"Schumpeter and the revival of evolutionary economics: an appraisal of the literature,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 125-159, April.
- Jan Fagerberg, 2003. "Schumpeter and the revival of evolutionary economics: an appraisal of the literature," Working Papers Archives 2003001, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Cepeda, Gabriel & Vera, Dusya, 2007. "Dynamic capabilities and operational capabilities: A knowledge management perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 426-437, May.
- Rebecca Henderson & Iain Cockburn, 1994.
"Measuring Competence? Exploring Firm Effects in Pharmaceutical Research,"
Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(S1), pages 63-84, December.
- Henderson, Rebecca. & Cockburn, Iain., 1994. "Measuring competence? : exploring firm effects in pharmaceutical research," Working papers 3712-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Danny Miller, 1983. "The Correlates of Entrepreneurship in Three Types of Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(7), pages 770-791, July.
- Paul Geroski & Steve Machin & John Van Reenen, 1993. "The Profitability of Innovating Firms," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(2), pages 198-211, Summer.
- Simpson, Penny M. & Siguaw, Judy A. & Enz, Cathy A., 2006. "Innovation orientation outcomes: The good and the bad," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(10-11), pages 1133-1141, October.
- A. Georges L. Romme & Maurizio Zollo & Peter Berends, 2010. "Dynamic capabilities, deliberate learning and environmental dynamism: a simulation model," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(4), pages 1271-1299, August.
- Gianmario Verona & Davide Ravasi, 2003. "Unbundling dynamic capabilities: an exploratory study of continuous product innovation," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 577-606, June.
- Lisboa, Ana & Skarmeas, Dionysis & Lages, Carmen, 2011. "Innovative capabilities: Their drivers and effects on current and future performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(11), pages 1157-1161.
- Nicholas Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2002. "Patents, Real Options and Firm Performance," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(478), pages 97-116, March.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9833 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shaker A. Zahra & Harry J. Sapienza & Per Davidsson, 2006. "Entrepreneurship and Dynamic Capabilities: A Review, Model and Research Agenda," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 917-955, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martin-Rios, Carlos & Parga-Dans, Eva, 2016. "Service response to economic decline: Innovation actions for achieving strategic renewal," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(8), pages 2890-2900.
- Jana Hojnik & Mitja Ruzzier & Tatiana Manolova, 2017. "Eco-Innovation and Firm Efficiency: Empirical Evidence from Slovenia," Foresight and STI Governance (Foresight-Russia till No. 3/2015), National Research University Higher School of Economics, vol. 11(3), pages 103-111.
- Soumodip Sarkar & Dulce Matos Coelho & João Maroco, 2016. "Strategic Orientations, Dynamic Capabilities, and Firm Performance: an Analysis for Knowledge Intensive Business Services," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer;Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), vol. 7(4), pages 1000-1020, December.
- Ciampi, Francesco & Demi, Stefano & Magrini, Alessandro & Marzi, Giacomo & Papa, Armando, 2021. "Exploring the impact of big data analytics capabilities on business model innovation: The mediating role of entrepreneurial orientation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 123(C), pages 1-13.
- Mikalef, Patrick & Pateli, Adamantia, 2017. "Information technology-enabled dynamic capabilities and their indirect effect on competitive performance: Findings from PLS-SEM and fsQCA," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 1-16.
- Wang, Yonggui & Hong, Aoran & Li, Xia & Gao, Jia, 2020. "Marketing innovations during a global crisis: A study of China firms’ response to COVID-19," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 214-220.
- Jensen, Are & Clausen, Tommy H., 2017. "Origins and emergence of exploration and exploitation capabilities in new technology-based firms," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 163-175.
- Schriber, Svante & Löwstedt, Jan, 2018. "Managing asset orchestration: A processual approach to adapting to dynamic environments," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(C), pages 307-317.
- Hai Guo & Zhuen Yang & Ran Huang & Anqi Guo, 2020. "The digitalization and public crisis responses of small and medium enterprises: Implications from a COVID-19 survey," Frontiers of Business Research in China, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 1-25, December.
- Margarida Rodrigues & Maria do Céu Alves & Cidália Oliveira & José Vale & Rui Silva, 2021. "The Impact of Strategy, Environment, and the Management System on the Foreign Subsidiary: The Implication for Open Innovation," Journal of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 7(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Fainshmidt, Stav & Nair, Anil & Mallon, Mark R., 2017. "MNE performance during a crisis: An evolutionary perspective on the role of dynamic managerial capabilities and industry context," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1088-1099.
- Linden, Erik, 2021. "Pandemics and environmental shocks: What aviation managers should learn from COVID-19 for long-term planning," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 90(C).
- Ritu Singh & Parikshit Charan & Manojit Chattopadhyay, 2019. "Dynamic capabilities and responsiveness: moderating effect of organization structures and environmental dynamism," DECISION: Official Journal of the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, Springer;Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, vol. 46(4), pages 301-319, December.
- Lu Qiu & Xiaowen Jie & Yanan Wang & Minjuan Zhao, 2020. "Green product innovation, green dynamic capability, and competitive advantage: Evidence from Chinese manufacturing enterprises," Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 27(1), pages 146-165, January.
- Aimilia Protogerou & Yannis D. Caloghirou & Glykeria Karagouni, 2014. "The relevance of the 'dynamic capabilities' perspective in low-tech sectors," Chapters, in: Hartmut Hirsch-Kreinsen & Isabel Schwinge (ed.), Knowledge-Intensive Entrepreneurship in Low-Tech Industries, chapter 7, pages 138-165, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Adelheid Holl & Ruth Rama, 2015. "Economic crisis and innovation: Do regions matter?," ERSA conference papers ersa15p87, European Regional Science Association.
- Elena Cefis & Orietta Marsili, 2018. "Good Times, Bad Times: Innovation and Survival over the Business Cycle," LEM Papers Series 2018/02, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Klaus S. Friesenbichler & Jürgen Janger & Agnes Kügler & Andreas Reinstaller, 2020. "Auswirkungen der COVID-19-Pandemie auf die Forschungs- und Innovationsaktivität," WIFO Studies, WIFO, number 66049.
- Christine Vallaster, 2017. "Managing a Company Crisis through Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility: A Practice‐Based Analysis," Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 24(6), pages 509-523, November.
- Lina Liu & Bo Yu & Weiwei Wu, 2019. "The Formation and Effects of Exploitative Dynamic Capabilities and Explorative Dynamic Capabilities: An Empirical Study," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(9), pages 1-21, May.
- Rui Silva & Cidália Oliveira, 2020. "The Influence of Innovation in Tangible and Intangible Resource Allocation: A Qualitative Multi Case Study," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(12), pages 1-21, June.
- Rima Zitkiene & Egle Kazlauskiene & Mindaugas Deksnys, 2015. "Dynamic Capabilities for Service Innovation," MIC 2015: Managing Sustainable Growth; Proceedings of the Joint International Conference, Portorož, Slovenia, 28–30 May 2015,, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper.
- Stav Fainshmidt & Amir Pezeshkan & M. Lance Frazier & Anil Nair & Edward Markowski, 2016. "Dynamic Capabilities and Organizational Performance: A Meta-Analytic Evaluation and Extension," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(8), pages 1348-1380, December.
- Ana Ferreira & Ana Lúcia Teixeira & Ana Roque Dantas, 2015. "Non-technological innovation activities mediate the impacts of the intra- and extra-organizational contexts on technological innovation outputs," Enterprise and Work Innovation Studies, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, IET/CICS.NOVA-Interdisciplinary Centre on Social Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, vol. 11(11), pages 9-43, December.
- Mann, Manveer & Byun, Sang-Eun, 2017. "To retrench or invest? Turnaround strategies during a recessionary time," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 24-34.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Jorge Ferreira & Sofia Cardim & Arnaldo Coelho, 0. "Dynamic Capabilities and Mediating Effects of Innovation on the Competitive Advantage and Firm’s Performance: the Moderating Role of Organizational Learning Capability," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer;Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), vol. 0, pages 1-25.
- Nieves, Julia & Haller, Sabine, 2014. "Building dynamic capabilities through knowledge resources," Tourism Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 224-232.
- Quan Anh Nguyen & Gillian Sullivan Mort, 0. "Conceptualising organisational-level and microfoundational capabilities: an integrated view of born-globals’ internationalisation," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 0, pages 1-23.
- Tammy L. Madsen & Michael J. Leiblein, 2015. "What Factors Affect the Persistence of an Innovation Advantage?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(8), pages 1097-1127, December.
- Leiponen, Aija, 2002. "Competencies and Firm Performance - Increasing Returns from Knowledge Complementaries?," Discussion Papers 703, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Nicolai J. Foss & Keld Laursen & Torben Pedersen, 2011. "Linking Customer Interaction and Innovation: The Mediating Role of New Organizational Practices," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(4), pages 980-999, August.
- Anders Pehrsson, 2019. "When are innovativeness and responsiveness effective in a foreign market?," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 19-40, March.
- Bruce Rasmussen, 2010. "Innovation and Commercialisation in the Biopharmaceutical Industry," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 13680.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Francesco Crespi & Giuseppe Scellato, 2018.
"Productivity growth persistence: firm strategies, size and system properties,"
Chapters, in: The Evolutionary Complexity of Endogenous Innovation, chapter 8, pages 176-202,
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Francesco Crespi & Giuseppe Scellato, 2015. "Productivity growth persistence: firm strategies, size and system properties," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 129-147, June.
- Li, Shenxue & Easterby-Smith, Mark & Hong, Jacky F.L., 2019. "Towards an understanding of the nature of dynamic capabilities in high-velocity markets of China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 97(C), pages 212-226.
- Cristina Fernandes & João J. Ferreira & Mário L. Raposo & Cristina Estevão & Marta Peris-Ortiz & Carlos Rueda-Armengot, 2017. "The dynamic capabilities perspective of strategic management: a co-citation analysis," Scientometrics, Springer;Akadémiai Kiadó, vol. 112(1), pages 529-555, July.
- Lewandowska Małgorzata Stefania, 2015. "Capturing Absorptive Capacity: Concepts, Determinants, Measurement Modes and Role in Open Innovation," International Journal of Management and Economics, Warsaw School of Economics, Collegium of World Economy, vol. 45(1), pages 32-56, March.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Matteo Lucchesex & Leopoldo Nascia & Mario Pianta, 2015.
"The Virtuous Circle of Innovation in Italian Firms,"
Documentos de Trabajo - Escuela de Economía
012630, Universidad Nacional de Colombia -FCE - CID.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Matteo Lucchese & Leopoldo Nascia & Mario Pianta, 2015. "The virtuous circle of innovation in Italian firms," Working Papers 1504, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2015.
- Byungjoo Paek & Heesang Lee, 2018. "Strategic entrepreneurship and competitive advantage of established firms: evidence from the digital TV industry," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 883-925, December.
- Dosi, Giovanni & Nelson, Richard R., 2010.
"Technical Change and Industrial Dynamics as Evolutionary Processes,"
Handbook of the Economics of Innovation, in: Bronwyn H. Hall & Nathan Rosenberg (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Innovation, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 0, pages 51-127,
- Giovanni Dosi & Richard R. Nelson, 2009. "Technical Change and Industrial Dynamics as Evolutionary Processes," LEM Papers Series 2009/07, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Osman Gök & Sinem Peker, 2017. "Understanding the links among innovation performance, market performance and financial performance," Review of Managerial Science, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 605-631, July.
- Alka Chadha & Raffaele Oriani, 2010. "R&D market value under weak intellectual property rights protection: the case of India," Scientometrics, Springer;Akadémiai Kiadó, vol. 82(1), pages 59-74, January.
- Schmiedeberg, Claudia, 2008. "Complementarities of innovation activities: An empirical analysis of the German manufacturing sector," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1492-1503, October.
- Jaime Gómez & Idana Salazar & Pilar Vargas, 2017. "Does Information Technology Improve Open Innovation Performance? An Examination of Manufacturers in Spain," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 28(3), pages 661-675, September.
- Cohen, Wesley M., 2010. "Fifty Years of Empirical Studies of Innovative Activity and Performance," Handbook of the Economics of Innovation, in: Bronwyn H. Hall & Nathan Rosenberg (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Innovation, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 0, pages 129-213, Elsevier.
More about this item
KeywordsDynamic capabilities; Innovation; Business environment; Financial crisis; Firm performance; Evolutionary fitness;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:67:y:2014:i:1:p:2707-2719. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.