Entry and competition in the Dutch notary profession
We investigate changes in competition in the Dutch notary profession after a partial deregulation of the market for notary services enforced by the 1999 Dutch Notary Act. This reform liberalized prices and relieved many entry barriers in the profession, while keeping the professional standard in place. We use the concept of entry thresholds developed by Bresnahan and Reiss (1991) to infer on the effect of entry on competition before and after the regulatory reform. We find that entry affects conduct in the Dutch notary profession as a second notary office in a market requires a much larger market size than a monopoly office to be profitable, suggesting that profit margins drop with entry. Yet, we find no significant differences between entry thresholds ratios before and after the regulatory reform. We discuss potential explanations for the sluggishness of entry in the profession and implications for policy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean M. Abraham & Martin S. Gaynor & William B. Vogt, 2005.
"Entry and Competition in Local Hospital Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
11649, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean Abraham & Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, 2005. "Entry and Competition in Local Hospital Markets," GSIA Working Papers 1999-E32, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Jean Marie Abraham & Martin Gaynor & William B Vogt, 2003. "Entry and Competition in Local Hospital Markets," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 03/088, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Richard A. Posner, 1974.
"Theories of Economic Regulation,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 5(2), pages 335-358, Autumn.
- Catherine Schaumans & Frank Verboven, 2008.
"Entry and regulation: evidence from health care professions,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 39(4), pages 949-972.
- Schaumans, Catherine & Verboven, Frank, 2006. "Entry and Regulation - Evidence from Health Care Professions," CEPR Discussion Papers 5482, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pfann, Gerard A. & van Kranenburg, Hans, 2002.
"Tax Policy, Location Choices, and Market Structure,"
IZA Discussion Papers
499, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pfann, Gerard A & van Kranenburg, Hans, 2003. "Tax Policy, Location Choices, and Market Structure," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(1), pages 61-83, April.
- Bresnahan, T.F & Reiss, P.C., 1989.
"Entry And Competition In Concentrated Markets,"
151, Stanford - Studies in Industry Economics.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2002. "Entry and competition in highly concentrated banking markets," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q IV, pages 18-27.
- Asplund, Marcus & Sandin, Rickard, 1999. "The Number of Firms and Production Capacity in Relation to Market Size," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 69-85, March.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Peter C. Reiss, 1990. "Entry in Monopoly Market," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(4), pages 531-553.
- Richard Nahuis & JoÃ«lle Noailly, 2005. "Competition and quality in the notary profession," CPB Document 94, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- David Dranove & Mark Shanley & Carol Simon, 1992. "Is Hospital Competition Wasteful?," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(2), pages 247-262, Summer.
- Noll, Roger G., 1989. "Economic perspectives on the politics of regulation," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1253-1287 Elsevier.
- Domberger, Simon & Sherr, Avrom, 1989. "The impact of competition on pricing and quality of legal services," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 41-56, June.
- Lueck, Dean & Olsen, Reed & Ransom, Michael, 1995. "Market and Regulatory Forces in the Pricing of Legal Services," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 63-83, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:irlaec:v:30:y:2010:i:2:p:178-185. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.