Direct and iterated multistep AR methods for difference stationary processes
The paper focuses on a comparison between the direct and iterated AR predictors for difference stationary processes. In particular, it provides new methods for comparing the efficiency of the two predictors. The methods are based on an encompassing representation for the two predictors, which enables us to derive their properties quite easily under a maintained model. The paper provides an analytical expression for the mean square forecast error of the two predictors and derives useful recursive formulae for computing the direct and iterated coefficients. From an empirical standpoint, we propose estimators of the AR coefficients based on the tapered Yule-Walker estimates; we also provide a test of equal forecast accuracy which is very simple to implement and whose critical values are obtained using the bootstrap method.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Bhansali, 1996. "Asymptotically efficient autoregressive model selection for multistep prediction," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 577-602, September.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2006.
"Why Has U.S. Inflation Become Harder to Forecast?,"
NBER Working Papers
12324, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clements, Michael P. & Hendry, David F., 1996.
"Multi-Step Estimation for Forecasting,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
447, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Peter M. Robinson & Carlos Velasco, 2000. "Whittle pseudo-maximum likelihood estimation for nonstationary time series," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2273, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1991. "Multi-step estimation and forecasting in dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1-2), pages 135-149.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2007. "Erratum to "Why Has U.S. Inflation Become Harder to Forecast?"," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(7), pages 1849-1849, October.
- Proietti, Tommaso & Harvey, Andrew, 2000. "A Beveridge-Nelson smoother," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 139-146, May.
- Massimiliano Marcellino & James Stock & Mark Watson, 2005.
"A Comparison of Direct and Iterated Multistep AR Methods for Forecasting Macroeconomic Time Series,"
285, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano & Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 2006. "A comparison of direct and iterated multistep AR methods for forecasting macroeconomic time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 499-526.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 2005. "A Comparison of Direct and Iterated Multistep AR Methods for Forecasting Macroeconomic Time Series," CEPR Discussion Papers 4976, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guillaume Chevillon, 2007.
"Direct Multi-Step Estimation And Forecasting,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(4), pages 746-785, 09.
- Brockwell, P. J. & Dahlhaus, R., 2004. "Generalized Levinson-Durbin and Burg algorithms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1-2), pages 129-149.
- Zhou, YanYan & Roy, Anindya, 2006. "Effect of tapering on accuracy of forecasts made with stable estimators of vector autoregressive processes," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 169-180.
- Ing, Ching-Kang, 2003. "Multistep Prediction In Autoregressive Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 254-279, April.
- Clive W. J. Granger & Yongil Jeon, 2006. "Dynamics of Model Overfitting Measured in terms of Autoregressive Roots," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 347-365, 05.
- repec:cep:stiecm:/2000/391 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfor:v:27:y::i:2:p:266-280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.