Securitizing and tranching longevity exposures
We consider the problem of optimally designing longevity risk transfers under asymmetric information. We focus on holders of longevity exposures that have superior knowledge of the underlying demographic risks, but are willing to take them off their balance sheets because of capital requirements. In equilibrium, they transfer longevity risk to uninformed agents at a cost, where the cost is represented by retention of part of the exposure and/or by a risk premium. We use a signalling model to quantify the effects of asymmetric information and emphasize how they compound with parameter uncertainty. We show how the cost of private information can be minimized by suitably tranching securitized cashflows, or, equivalently, by securitizing the exposure in exchange for an option on mortality rates. We also investigate the benefits of pooling several longevity exposures and the impact on tranching levels.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Scarsini, Marco, 2007.
"Optimal risk sharing with background risk,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 152-176, March.
- Rose-Anne Dana & Marco Scarsini, 2005. "Optiml risk sharing with backbround risk," Post-Print hal-00360158, HAL.
- Marco Scarsini & Rose-Anne Dana, 2007. "Optimal risk sharing with background risk," Post-Print hal-00538974, HAL.
- Scarsini, Marco & Dana, Rose-Anne, 2005. "Optimal risk sharing with background risk," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/698, Paris Dauphine University.
- Duffie Darrell & Rahi Rohit, 1995. "Financial Market Innovation and Security Design: An Introduction," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 1-42, February.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A., 2008.
"Quadratic stochastic intensity and prospective mortality tables,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 174-184, August.
- Christian Gourieroux & Alain Monfort, 2007. "Quadratic Stochastic Intensity and Prospective Mortality Tables," Working Papers 2007-30, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- David Blake & Andrew Cairns & Kevin Dowd & Richard MacMinn, 2006. "Longevity Bonds: Financial Engineering, Valuation, and Hedging," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(4), pages 647-672.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- L. Eeckhoudt & C. Gollier & H. Schlesinger, 2005. "Economic and financial decisions under risk," Post-Print hal-00325882, HAL.
- Peter DeMarzo & Darrell Duffie, 1999. "A Liquidity-Based Model of Security Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 65-100, January.
- Mailath, George J, 1987. "Incentive Compatibility in Signaling Games with a Continuum of Types," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1349-65, November.
- Innes, Robert D., 1990. "Limited liability and incentive contracting with ex-ante action choices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 45-67, October.
- Blake David & Cairns Andrew & Dowd Kevin, 2008. "The Birth of the Life Market," Asia-Pacific Journal of Risk and Insurance, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-32, September.
- Douglas Gale, 1992. "A Walrasian Theory of Markets with Adverse Selection," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(2), pages 229-255.
- Alex Cowley & J. David Cummins, 2005. "Securitization of Life Insurance Assets and Liabilities," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(2), pages 193-226.
- Coughlan Guy D. & Epstein David & Khalaf-Allah Marwa & Watts Chris S., 2008. "Hedging Pension Longevity Risk: Practical Capital Markets Solutions," Asia-Pacific Journal of Risk and Insurance, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-25, September.
- Peter M. DeMarzo, 2005. "The Pooling and Tranching of Securities: A Model of Informed Intermediation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(1), pages 1-35.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:46:y:2010:i:1:p:186-197. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.