A new way of choosing a suitable copula to model dependence is introduced. Instead of relying on a given parametric family of copulas or applying the other extreme of modelling dependence in a nonparametric way, an intermediate approach is proposed, based on a sequence of parametric models containing more and more dependency aspects. In contrast to a similar way of thinking in testing theory, the method here, intended for estimating the copula, often requires a somewhat larger number of steps. One approach is based on exponential families, another on contamination families. An extensive numerical investigation is supplied on a large number of well-known copulas. The method based on contamination families is recommended. A Gaussian start in this approximation looks very promising.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jesus Gonzalo & Jose Olmo, 2005. "Contagion Versus Flight To Quality In Financial Markets," Economics Working Papers we051810, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Biau, Gérard & Wegkamp, Marten, 2005. "A note on minimum distance estimation of copula densities," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 105-114, June.
- Panchenko, Valentyn, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit test for copulas," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 355(1), pages 176-182.
- Janic-Wroblewska, A. & Kallenberg, W. C. M. & Ledwina, T., 2004. "Detecting positive quadrant dependence and positive function dependence," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 467-487, June.
- Fermanian, Jean-David, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit tests for copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 119-152, July.
- Panchenko, V., 2004. "Goodness-of-fit test for copulas," CeNDEF Working Papers 04-16, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:42:y:2008:i:1:p:127-146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.