A new way of choosing a suitable copula to model dependence is introduced. Instead of relying on a given parametric family of copulas or applying the other extreme of modelling dependence in a nonparametric way, an intermediate approach is proposed, based on a sequence of parametric models containing more and more dependency aspects. In contrast to a similar way of thinking in testing theory, the method here, intended for estimating the copula, often requires a somewhat larger number of steps. One approach is based on exponential families, another on contamination families. An extensive numerical investigation is supplied on a large number of well-known copulas. The method based on contamination families is recommended. A Gaussian start in this approximation looks very promising.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olmo, José & Gonzalo, Jesús, 2005. "Contagion versus flight to quality in financial markets," UC3M Working papers. Economics we051810, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Janic-Wroblewska, A. & Kallenberg, W. C. M. & Ledwina, T., 2004. "Detecting positive quadrant dependence and positive function dependence," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 467-487, June.
- Panchenko, V., 2004.
"Goodness-of-fit test for copulas,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
04-16, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Panchenko, Valentyn, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit test for copulas," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 355(1), pages 176-182.
- Fermanian, Jean-David, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit tests for copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 119-152, July.
- Biau, Gérard & Wegkamp, Marten, 2005. "A note on minimum distance estimation of copula densities," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 105-114, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:42:y:2008:i:1:p:127-146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.