The effect of group composition and autonomy on the performance of joint ventures (JVs): an analysis based on Spanish export JVs
This paper analyses the effects of group composition and autonomy on the performance of export joint ventures (JVs). The basic argument is that group composition has a significant influence on the performance of JVs and, at the same time, this effect is moderated by the degree of autonomy held by the JV general manager. To lend support to this argument, we take insights from two complementary theoretical approaches: the resource-based view of the firm and the transaction cost theory. The hypotheses set forth are tested on the basis of a sample of 83 Spanish export JVs. The paper contributes to the literature providing evidence on the influence that export JV composition has on performance. It also suggests that autonomy does not directly affect export JV success, but it does, however, have an indirect effect by moderating the relationship between group composition and performance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Butler, Richard & Sohod, Salmi, 1995. "Joint-venture autonomy: Resource dependence and transaction costs perspectives," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 159-175, June.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1984. "Differences among exporting firms based on their degree of internationalization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 195-208, June.
- William Newburry, 1999. "Autonomy and Effectiveness of Equity International Joint Ventures (EIJVs): An Analysis based on EIJVs in Hungary and Britain," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(2), pages 263-285, 03.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Arvind Parkhe, 1991. "Interfirm Diversity, Organizational Learning, and Longevity in Global Strategic Alliances," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(4), pages 579-601, December.
- Seung Ho Park & Michael V. Russo, 1996. "When Competition Eclipses Cooperation: An Event History Analysis of Joint Venture Failure," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(6), pages 875-890, June.
- Aimin Yan & Ming Zeng, 1999. "International Joint Venture Instability: A Critique of Previous Research, A Reconceptualization, and Directions for Future Research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(2), pages 397-414, June.
- Kogut, Bruce, 1989. "The Stability of Joint Ventures: Reciprocity and Competitive Rivalry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 183-98, December.
- Yigang Pan & David K Tse, 1996. "Cooperative Strategies between Foreign Firms in an Overseas Country," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 929-946, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Mirza, Hafiz, 2000. "Factors affecting international joint venture success: an empirical analysis of foreign-local partner relationships and performance in joint ventures in Turkey," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Yigang Pan & David K Tse, 1996. "Cooperative Strategies between Foreign Firms in an Overseas Country," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(5), pages 929-946, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:12:y:2003:i:1:p:17-39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.