Martingalized historical approach for option pricing
In a discrete time option pricing framework, we compare the empirical performance of two pricing methodologies, namely the affine stochastic discount factor (SDF) and the empirical martingale correction methodologies. Using a CAC 40 options dataset, the differences are found to be small: the higher order moment correction involved in the SDF approach may not be that essential to reduce option pricing errors. This paper puts into evidence the fact that an appropriate modelling under the historical measure associated with an adequate correction (that we call here a "martingale correction") permits to provide option prices which are close to market ones.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Elliott & Dilip B. Madan, 1998. "A Discrete Time Equivalent Martingale Measure," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 127-152.
- Mercuri, Lorenzo, 2008. "Option pricing in a Garch model with tempered stable innovations," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 172-182, September.
- Christophe Chorro & Dominique Guegan & Florian Ielpo, 2008.
"Option Pricing under GARCH models with Generalized Hyperbolic innovations (I) : Methodology,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Christophe Chorro & Dominique Guegan & Florian Ielpo, 2008. "Option pricing under GARCH models with generalized hyperbolic innovations (I) : methodology," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b08037, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Christophe Chorro & Dominique Guegan & Florian Ielpo, 2008. "Option pricing under GARCH models with generalized hyperbolic innovations (II) : data and results," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b08047, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Jin-Chuan Duan & Jean-Guy Simonato, 1995. "Empirical Martingale Simulation for Asset Prices," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-43, CIRANO.
- Jin-Chuan Duan & Jean-Guy Simonato, 1998. "Empirical Martingale Simulation for Asset Prices," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(9), pages 1218-1233, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finlet:v:7:y:2010:i:1:p:24-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.