Option pricing under GARCH models with generalized hyperbolic innovations (I) : methodology
In this paper, we present an alternative to the Black Scholes model for a discrete time economy using GARCH-type models for the underlying asset returns with Generalized Hyperbolic (GH) innovations that are potentially skewed and leptokurtic. Assuming that the stochastic discount factor is an exponential affine function of the states variables, we show that this class of distributions is stable under the Risk neutral change of probability.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13|
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-43.
- Kevin Fergusson & Eckhard Platen, 2006.
"On the Distributional Characterization of Daily Log-Returns of a World Stock Index,"
Applied Mathematical Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 19-38.
- Kevin Fergusson & Eckhard Platen, 2005. "On the Distributional Characterization of Log-returns of a World Stock Index," Research Paper Series 153, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Franses,Philip Hans & Dijk,Dick van, 2000.
"Non-Linear Time Series Models in Empirical Finance,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521770415.
- Franses,Philip Hans & Dijk,Dick van, 2000. "Non-Linear Time Series Models in Empirical Finance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521779654.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Henri Bertholon & Alain Monfort & Fulvio Pegoraro, 2006.
"Pricing and Inference with Mixtures of Conditionally Normal Processes,"
2006-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bertholon, H. & Monfort, A. & Pegoraro, F., 2007. "Pricing and Inference with Mixtures of Conditionally Normal Processes," Working papers 188, Banque de France.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993.
" On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993. "On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks," Staff Report 157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Christophe Chorro & Dominique Guegan & Florian Ielpo, 2008. "Option pricing under GARCH models with generalized hyperbolic innovations (II) : data and results," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b08047, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2006:i:82:p:01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Morten B. Jensen & Asger Lunde, 2001. "The NIG-S&ARCH model: a fat-tailed, stochastic, and autoregressive conditional heteroskedastic volatility model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(2), pages 10.
- Brown, David P & Gibbons, Michael R, 1985. " A Simple Econometric Approach for Utility-based Asset Pricing Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 359-81, June.
- Robert J. Elliott & Dilip B. Madan, 1998. "A Discrete Time Equivalent Martingale Measure," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 127-152.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Joshua Rosenberg & Robert F. Engle, 2000.
"Empirical Pricing Kernels,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
99-014, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Jin-Chuan Duan, 1995. "The Garch Option Pricing Model," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 13-32.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A., 2007. "Econometric specification of stochastic discount factor models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 509-530, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:b08037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.