Option pricing in a Garch model with tempered stable innovations
The key problem for option pricing in Garch models is that the risk-neutral distribution of the underlying at maturity is unknown. Heston and Nandi solved this problem by computing the characteristic function of the underlying by a recursive procedure. Following the same idea, Christoffersen, Heston and Jacobs proposed a Garch-like model with inverse Gaussian innovations and recently Bellini and Mercuri obtained a similar procedure in a model with Gamma innovations. We present a model with tempered stable innovations that encompasses both the CHJ and the BM models as special cases. The proposed model is calibrated on S&P500 closing option prices and its performance is compared with the CHJ, the BM and the Heston-Nandi models.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2003.
"The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 753-778, 04.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2002. "The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing," Finance 0207012, EconWPA.
- Christoffersen, Peter & Heston, Steve & Jacobs, Kris, 2006.
"Option valuation with conditional skewness,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 253-284.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "New Methods in Statistical Economics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 421.
- Jin-Chuan Duan, 1995. "The Garch Option Pricing Model," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 13-32.
- Heston, Steven L & Nandi, Saikat, 2000. "A Closed-Form GARCH Option Valuation Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(3), pages 585-625.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finlet:v:5:y:2008:i:3:p:172-182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.