International evidence on aggregate short-run and long-run interfuel substitution
In this paper, we build on recent work by Serletis et al. (2010, in press) and report short- and long-run estimates of aggregate interfuel substitution for a number of OECD and non-OECD countries. In doing so, we use recent pooled intercountry data (since 1980), and state-of-the-art advances in microeconometrics, including duality theory and flexible functional forms. Also, motivated by the widespread practice in the empirical energy demand literature of ignoring theoretical regularity, we estimate our model subject to global curvature (but not monotonicity), using methods developed by Diewert and Wales (1987). We provide inference, and also a policy perspective, using parameter estimates that are consistent with the theoretical regularity conditions of neoclassical microeconomic theory.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1995.
"Fully Modified Least Squares and Vector Autoregression,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1023-78, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1993. "Fully Modified Least Squares and Vector Autoregression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1047, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Griffin, James M & Gregory, Paul R, 1976. "An Intercountry Translog Model of Energy Substitution Responses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(5), pages 845-57, December.
- Guilkey, David K & Lovell, C A Knox & Sickles, Robin C, 1983. "A Comparison of the Performance of Three Flexible Functional Forms," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(3), pages 591-616, October.
- Ryan, David L. & Wales, Terence J., 2000. "Imposing local concavity in the translog and generalized Leontief cost functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 253-260, June.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- Fuss, Melvyn A., 1977. "The demand for energy in Canadian manufacturing : An example of the estimation of production structures with many inputs," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 89-116, January.
- Ng, Serena, 1995.
"Testing for Homogeneity in Demand Systems When the Regressors Are Nonstationary,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 147-63, April-Jun.
- Ng, S., 1995. "Testing for Homogeneity in Demand Systems when the Regressors Are Non-Stationary," Cahiers de recherche 9516, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ng, S., 1995. "Testing for Homogeneity in Demand Systems when the Regressors Are Non-Stationary," Cahiers de recherche 9516, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jones, Clifton T, 1995. "A Dynamic Analysis of Interfuel Substitution in U.S. Industrial Energy Demand," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(4), pages 459-65, October.
- Barnett, William A. & Serletis, Apostolos, 2008.
"Consumer preferences and demand systems,"
8413, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William Barnett & Apostolos Serletis, 2008. "Consumer preferences and demand systems," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200801, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2008.
- William Barnett & Meenakshi Pasupathy, 2012.
"Regularity Of The Generalized Quadratic Production Model: A Counterexample,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
201235, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
- William Barnett & Meenakshi Pasupathy, 2003. "Regularity of the Generalized Quadratic Production Model: A Counterexample," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 135-154.
- William A. Barnett & Meenakshi Pasupathy, 2001. "Regularity Of The Generalized Quadratic Production Model: A Counterexample," Econometrics 0112001, EconWPA.
- Feng, Guohua & Serletis, Apostolos, 2008. "Productivity trends in U.S. manufacturing: Evidence from the NQ and AIM cost functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 281-311, January.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Timilsina, Govinda R. & Vasetsky, Olexandr, 2010. "Interfuel substitution in the United States," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 737-745, May.
- Barnett, William A. & Serletis, Apostolos, 2008.
"Measuring Consumer Preferences and Estimating Demand Systems,"
12318, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William Barnett & Apostolos Serletis, 2009. "Measuring Consumer Preferences and Estimating Demand Systems," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200901, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2009.
- Kevin J. Fox & W. Erwin Diewert, 2004.
"On the Estimation of Returns to Scale, Technical Progress and Monopolistic Markups,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
310, Econometric Society.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Fox, Kevin J., 2008. "On the estimation of returns to scale, technical progress and monopolistic markups," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 174-193, July.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1975. "Transcendental Logarithmic Utility Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 367-83, June.
- Barnett, William A. & Geweke, John & Wolfe, Michael, 1991. "Seminonparametric Bayesian estimation of the asymptotically ideal production model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1-2), pages 5-50.
- Attfield, C. L. F., 1997. "Estimating a cointegrating demand system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Blackorby, Charles & Russell, R Robert, 1989. "Will the Real Elasticity of Substitution Please Stand Up? (A Comparison of the Allen/Uzawa and Morishima Elasticities)," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 882-88, September.
- Considine, Timothy J., 1989. "Separability, functional form and regulatory policy in models of interfuel substitution," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 82-94, April.
- Diewert, Erwin & Fox, Kevin J ., 2009. "The Normalized Quadratic Expenditure Function," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2009-3, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 09 Jan 2009.
- Barnett, William A., 2002. "Tastes and technology: curvature is not sufficient for regularity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 199-202, May.
- Burnside, Craig, 1996. "Production function regressions, returns to scale, and externalities," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 177-201, April.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1979. "Interfuel Substitution and the Industrial Demand for Energy: An International Comparison," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(2), pages 169-79, May.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Wood, David O, 1975. "Technology, Prices, and the Derived Demand for Energy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(3), pages 259-68, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:33:y:2011:i:2:p:209-216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.