Capacity choice and water management in hydroelectricity systems
This paper proposes a simple two-period model that captures the seasonal pattern of water inflows and electricity demand observed in many countries where hydropower is a major source of electricity supply. The model characterizes the effects of different inflows pattern on the optimal water management, capacity, and the associated electricity production and price. The first best capacity is a non-monotonic function of water inflows, which provides a rationale for the observed differences in reservoirs sizes across hydropower systems around the world. The monopoly solution is qualitatively similar to the first best outcome, and the privatization of hydroelectric power generation systems does not always imply a social welfare loss.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hoel, Michael, 2004.
"Properties of a non-competitive electricity market dominated by hydroelectric power,"
07/2004, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Hoel & Finn R. Førsund, 2004. "Properties of a Non-Competitive Electricity Market Dominated by Hydroelectric Power," Working Papers 2004.86, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Stefan Ambec & Joseph Doucet, 2003. "Decentralizing hydro power production," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 587-607, August.
- von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik M & Sandsbraten, Lise, 1997. " Water on Fire: Gains from Electricity Trade," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(2), pages 281-97, June.
- Crampes, C. & Moreaux, M., 2001. "Water resource and power generation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 975-997, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:33:y:2011:i:2:p:168-177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.