Credit risk in covered bonds
Covered bonds are a promising alternative for prime mortgage securitization. In this paper, we explore risk premia in the covered bond market and particularly investigate whether and how credit risk is priced. In extant literature, yield spreads between high-quality covered bonds and government bonds are often interpreted as pure liquidity premia. In contrast, we show that although liquidity is important, it is not the exclusive risk factor. Using a hand-collected data set of cover pool information, we find that the credit quality of the cover assets is an important determinant of covered bond yield spreads. This effect is particularly strong in times of financial turmoil and has a significant influence on the issuer's refinancing cost.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kempf, Alexander & Korn, Olaf & Uhrig-Homburg, Marliese, 2012. "The term structure of illiquidity premia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1381-1391.
- Deborah Gefang & Gary Koop & Simon M. Potter, 2010.
"Understanding Liquidity and Credit Risks in the Financial Crisis,"
Working Paper Series
45_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Gefang, Deborah & Koop, Gary & Potter, Simon M., 2011. "Understanding liquidity and credit risks in the financial crisis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 903-914.
- Deborah Gefang & Gary Koop & Simon Potter, 2011. "Understanding Liquidity and Credit Risks in the Financial Crisis," Working Papers 1114, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Gefang, Deborah & Koop, Gary & Potter, Simon M., 2011. "Understanding Liquidity and Credit Risks in the Financial Crisis," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-26, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Coroneo, Laura & Nyholm, Ken & Vidova-Koleva, Rositsa, 2008.
"How arbitrage-free is the Nelson-Siegel Model?,"
Working Paper Series
0874, European Central Bank.
- Carlo Favero & Marco Pagano & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 2007.
"How Does Liquidity Affect Government Bond Yields?,"
CSEF Working Papers
181, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Carlo Favero & Marco Pagano & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 2007. "How Does Liquidity Affect Government Bond Yields?," Working Papers 323, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Favero, Carlo A. & Pagano, Marco & von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig, 2008. "How Does Liquidity Affect Government Bond Yields?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6649, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2010.
"Contagious Adverse Selection,"
1251, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Econometric Research Program..
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2005.
"Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit Default Swap Market,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2213-2253, October.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2004. "Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit-Default Swap Market," NBER Working Papers 10418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2001. "The Determinants of Credit Spread Changes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2177-2207, December.
- Bernanke Ben S., 2009. "The Future of Mortgage Finance in the United States," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(3), pages 1-10, March.
- Ferstl, Robert & Hayden, Josef, 2010. "Zero-Coupon Yield Curve Estimation with the Package termstrc," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 36(i01).
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Long Chen & David A. Lesmond & Jason Wei, 2007. "Corporate Yield Spreads and Bond Liquidity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 119-149, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:empfin:v:21:y:2013:i:c:p:102-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.