Credit risk in covered bonds
Covered bonds are a promising alternative for prime mortgage securitization. In this paper, we explore risk premia in the covered bond market and particularly investigate whether and how credit risk is priced. In extant literature, yield spreads between high-quality covered bonds and government bonds are often interpreted as pure liquidity premia. In contrast, we show that although liquidity is important, it is not the exclusive risk factor. Using a hand-collected data set of cover pool information, we find that the credit quality of the cover assets is an important determinant of covered bond yield spreads. This effect is particularly strong in times of financial turmoil and has a significant influence on the issuer's refinancing cost.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Long Chen & David A. Lesmond & Jason Wei, 2007. "Corporate Yield Spreads and Bond Liquidity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 119-149, 02.
- Gefang, Deborah & Koop, Gary & Potter, Simon M., 2011.
"Understanding liquidity and credit risks in the financial crisis,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 903-914.
- Deborah Gefang & Gary Koop & Simon Potter, 2011. "Understanding Liquidity and Credit Risks in the Financial Crisis," Working Papers 1114, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Deborah Gefang & Gary Koop & Simon M. Potter, 2010. "Understanding Liquidity and Credit Risks in the Financial Crisis," Working Paper Series 45_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Gefang, Deborah & Koop, Gary & Potter, Simon M., 2011. "Understanding Liquidity and Credit Risks in the Financial Crisis," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-26, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Bernanke Ben S., 2009. "The Future of Mortgage Finance in the United States," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(3), pages 1-10, March.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2005.
"Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit Default Swap Market,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2213-2253, October.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2004. "Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit-Default Swap Market," NBER Working Papers 10418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlo Favero & Marco Pagano & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 2007.
"How Does Liquidity Affect Government Bond Yields?,"
323, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2012. "Contagious Adverse Selection," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2001. "The Determinants of Credit Spread Changes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2177-2207, December.
- Coroneo, Laura & Nyholm, Ken & Vidova-Koleva, Rositsa, 2011.
"How arbitrage-free is the Nelson-Siegel model?,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 393-407, June.
- Kempf, Alexander & Korn, Olaf & Uhrig-Homburg, Marliese, 2012. "The term structure of illiquidity premia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1381-1391.
- Robert Ferstl & Josef Hayden, . "Zero-Coupon Yield Curve Estimation with the Package termstrc," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 36(i01).
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:empfin:v:21:y:2013:i:c:p:102-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.