Crash of '87 -- Was it expected?: Aggregate market fears and long-range dependence
We develop a dynamic framework to identify aggregate market fears ahead of a major market crash through the skewness premium of European options. Our methodology is based on measuring the distribution of a skewness premium through a q-Gaussian density and a maximum entropy principle. Our findings indicate that the October 19th, 1987 crash was predictable from the study of the skewness premium of deepest out-of-the-money options about two months prior to the crash.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rappoport, Peter & White, Eugene N, 1994. "Was the Crash of 1929 Expected?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 271-281, March.
- Bates, David S, 1991. " The Crash of '87: Was It Expected? The Evidence from Options Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 1009-1044, July.
- Grech, D & Mazur, Z, 2004. "Can one make any crash prediction in finance using the local Hurst exponent idea?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 336(1), pages 133-145.
- Mandelbrot, Benoit B, 1971. "When Can Price Be Arbitraged Efficiently? A Limit to the Validity of the Random Walk and Martingale Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(3), pages 225-236, August.
- Gamero, L.G. & Plastino, A. & Torres, M.E., 1997. "Wavelet analysis and nonlinear dynamics in a nonextensive setting," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 246(3), pages 487-509.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Tabak, Benjamin M. & Cajueiro, Daniel O., 2006. "Assessing inefficiency in euro bilateral exchange rates," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 367(C), pages 319-327.
- Gradojevic, Nikola & Gencay, Ramazan, 2008. "Overnight interest rates and aggregate market expectations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 27-30, July.
- Nikola Gradojevic & Ramazan Gençay, 2009. "Overnight Interest Rates and Aggregate Market Expectations," Working Paper Series 26_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Garcia, Rene & Gencay, Ramazan, 2000. "Pricing and hedging derivative securities with neural networks and a homogeneity hint," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 93-115.
- René Garcia & Ramazan Gençay, 1998. "Pricing and Hedging Derivative Securities with Neural Networks and a Homogeneity Hint," CIRANO Working Papers 98s-35, CIRANO.
- Kitamura, Yuichi & Stutzer, Michael, 2002. "Connections between entropic and linear projections in asset pricing estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 159-174, March.
- Silvio M. Duarte Queiros & Luis G. Moyano & Jeferson de Souza & Constantino Tsallis, 2006. "A nonextensive approach to the dynamics of financial observables," Papers physics/0601222, arXiv.org.
- Gençay, Ramazan & Dacorogna, Michel & Muller, Ulrich A. & Pictet, Olivier & Olsen, Richard, 2001. "An Introduction to High-Frequency Finance," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780122796715.
- Celia Anteneodo & Constantino Tsallis, 2003. "Risk aversion in financial decisions: A nonextensive approach," Papers cond-mat/0306605, arXiv.org.
- Tong, S. & Bezerianos, A. & Paul, J. & Zhu, Y. & Thakor, N., 2002. "Nonextensive entropy measure of EEG following brain injury from cardiac arrest," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 305(3), pages 619-628.
- Bates, David S., 2000. "Post-'87 crash fears in the S&P 500 futures option market," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 181-238.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:empfin:v:17:y:2010:i:2:p:270-282. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.