Crash of '87 -- Was it expected?: Aggregate market fears and long-range dependence
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Ramazan Gencay & Nikola Gradojevic, 2009. "Crash of '87 - Was it Expected? Aggregate Market Fears and Long Range Dependence," Working Paper series 28_09, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
References listed on IDEAS
- Rappoport, Peter & White, Eugene N, 1994. "Was the Crash of 1929 Expected?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 271-281, March.
- Bates, David S, 1991. " The Crash of '87: Was It Expected? The Evidence from Options Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 1009-1044, July.
- Grech, D & Mazur, Z, 2004. "Can one make any crash prediction in finance using the local Hurst exponent idea?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 336(1), pages 133-145.
- Mandelbrot, Benoit B, 1971. "When Can Price Be Arbitraged Efficiently? A Limit to the Validity of the Random Walk and Martingale Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(3), pages 225-236, August.
- Gamero, L.G. & Plastino, A. & Torres, M.E., 1997. "Wavelet analysis and nonlinear dynamics in a nonextensive setting," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 246(3), pages 487-509.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Tabak, Benjamin M. & Cajueiro, Daniel O., 2006. "Assessing inefficiency in euro bilateral exchange rates," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 367(C), pages 319-327.
- Gradojevic, Nikola & Gencay, Ramazan, 2008.
"Overnight interest rates and aggregate market expectations,"
Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 27-30, July.
- Nikola Gradojevic & Ramazan Gençay, 2009. "Overnight Interest Rates and Aggregate Market Expectations," Working Paper series 26_09, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Garcia, Rene & Gencay, Ramazan, 2000.
"Pricing and hedging derivative securities with neural networks and a homogeneity hint,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 93-115.
- René Garcia & Ramazan Gençay, 1998. "Pricing and Hedging Derivative Securities with Neural Networks and a Homogeneity Hint," CIRANO Working Papers 98s-35, CIRANO.
- Kitamura, Yuichi & Stutzer, Michael, 2002. "Connections between entropic and linear projections in asset pricing estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 159-174, March.
- Silvio M. Duarte Queiros & Luis G. Moyano & Jeferson de Souza & Constantino Tsallis, 2006. "A nonextensive approach to the dynamics of financial observables," Papers physics/0601222, arXiv.org.
- Gençay, Ramazan & Dacorogna, Michel & Muller, Ulrich A. & Pictet, Olivier & Olsen, Richard, 2001. "An Introduction to High-Frequency Finance," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780122796715.
- Celia Anteneodo & Constantino Tsallis, 2003. "Risk aversion in financial decisions: A nonextensive approach," Papers cond-mat/0306605, arXiv.org.
- Tong, S. & Bezerianos, A. & Paul, J. & Zhu, Y. & Thakor, N., 2002. "Nonextensive entropy measure of EEG following brain injury from cardiac arrest," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 305(3), pages 619-628.
- Bates, David S., 2000. "Post-'87 crash fears in the S&P 500 futures option market," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 181-238.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Loretta Mastroeni & Pierluigi Vellucci, 2016. "“Butterfly Effect" vs Chaos in Energy Futures Markets," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0209, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Lutz, Chandler, 2015. "The impact of conventional and unconventional monetary policy on investor sentiment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 89-105.
- Benedetto, F. & Giunta, G. & Mastroeni, L., 2016. "On the predictability of energy commodity markets by an entropy-based computational method," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 302-312.
- repec:eee:ecofin:v:42:y:2017:i:c:p:107-131 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nikola Gradojevic & Marko Caric, 2017. "Predicting Systemic Risk with Entropic Indicators," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 36(1), pages 16-25, January.
- Loretta Mastroeni & Pierluigi Vellucci, 2016. ""Chaos" in energy and commodity markets: a controversial matter," Papers 1611.07432, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2017.
- Namaki, A. & Koohi Lai, Z. & Jafari, G.R. & Raei, R. & Tehrani, R., 2013. "Comparing emerging and mature markets during times of crises: A non-extensive statistical approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(14), pages 3039-3044.
- Loretta Mastroeni & Pierluigi Vellucci, 2016. ""Butterfly Effect" vs Chaos in Energy Futures Markets," Papers 1610.05697, arXiv.org.
- Alvarez-Ramirez, J. & Rodriguez, E. & Espinosa-Paredes, G., 2012. "A partisan effect in the efficiency of the US stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(20), pages 4923-4932.
- Bekiros, Stelios D., 2015. "Heuristic learning in intraday trading under uncertainty," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 34-49.
More about this item
KeywordsNon-additive entropy Shannon entropy Tsallis entropy q-Gaussian distribution Skewness premium;
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- C40 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:empfin:v:17:y:2010:i:2:p:270-282. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.